Permatex Red RTV silicone gasket sealer?

Permatex Red RTV silicone gasket sealer?

Ericcb750
Hey guys, I'm replacing the head gasket on a 78 CB750K and I'm having quite a time scraping and cleaning off the original gasket and what looks like red hard sealer. I was given advice to use the permatex red RTV silicone gasket maker in a very thin layer on both gasket sides when I re-assemble. Does anyone have any experience with this one, I've read there are some other types that are better but i wanted to check with you guys as this is the first time i'm doing this. Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you.
Eric - CT - 1978 CB750 K

Re: Permatex Red RTV silicone gasket sealer?

NEVER USE GASKET SEALER ON A HEAD GASKET!!!!!!!! And never use silicone on an engine!!!!! Also the best thing I have found for cleaning off old gaskets is a scotchbrite disc on a high speed drill.

Re: Permatex Red RTV silicone gasket sealer?

motogrady
Administrator

I knew that was comin"

Tools is right, the stuff squishes inside the motor, pieces break off, gets in the oil stream....bad news.
Clean the surfaces good, fresh, clean gasket, proper torque on the bolts, go riding.

Re: Permatex Red RTV silicone gasket sealer?

TheLastJoker
I was just reading either on this forum or over at sohc4.net that someone's camshaft literally broken apart because it wasn't getting oil to the carrier.  Cause- sealant clogging the oil passage way.  For other applications it may be ok, but steer clear of it in this area.
1978 CB750F Super Sport

Re: Permatex Red RTV silicone gasket sealer?

Ericcb750
Wow....Um There's my answer right there. I definitely don't need that happening. I'm glad I asked before I went ahead with this. I have used a little finishing buffer attachment on my Dremel to clean up the surfaces of the head/cylinder so they're nice and clean/shiny. So it's probably best not to use any type of Gasket Sealer at all then ???  Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate and i'm glad I asked.
Eric - CT - 1978 CB750 K

Re: Permatex Red RTV silicone gasket sealer?

Lucky 1
Never use blue or red silicone on a Honda engine.

USe Gaskacinch or its copy cat, Honda bond or another copy cat Yamabond.

Made for these engines.

When I see RTV on a Honda engine I cringe
because I know a real amateur has been working on it.
On a Roadstar Adventure.