Speedometer drive modification for duel discs.

Speedometer drive modification for duel discs.

The stock 750 speedometer drive is too big to allow the disc to mount up. Now you could go on the hunt for a CB 500-550 drive, but they are getting hard to find. So I came up with this solution.
This shiny cover will not be needed any more.

First remove the axle, rotor, and speedometer drive

This is the piece y0u need to modify.

I start by finding a socket that fits into the hole, and then clamp the socket down, so that I can spin the drive around on the socket.

I then set up my Dremel with a cutting wheel, and put a screw into the work bench to rest the Dremel against, so that it does not move while cutting. The black dirt mark is a perfect place to make the cut.

I then spin it round, and round while the Dremel gradually cuts. It took about 7 discs to cut all the way through. Also be sure to wear gloves. This thing gets hot!

Then drill an 1/8 inch hole in it. This is what it will look like.

Now clean up the back side of the drive, and the mounting surface of the wheel. Then mix up some JB Weld.

Now JB Weld the drive to the wheel using the axle to hold the piece in position.

To be continued.......

Re: Speedometer drive modification for duel discs.

Now that my JB Weld has set, i'm back at it.
I removed the axle, and speedometer drive to expose the drive gear. I then got an 1/8" X 1/2" roll pin, and an 1/8 inch drill bit. I marked the drill bit with some tape. I want to go deep enough that the roll pin will go all the way in, but not drill through the hub.

I then drilled the hole in the hub, and inserted the roll pin. It should be just proud of the drive gear.

Now bolt the rotors on, being sure to put the bolts through from the right side.
Install the axle, and drive.

Install the wheel, and your all most done.

Re: Speedometer drive modification for duel discs.

TheLastJoker
This looks like a much easier and cheaper way to put spoked wheels on my super sport while keeping dual disks than switching to a GL1000 front end.  Thanks for the write up!
1978 CB750F Super Sport