Slight Oil Leak?

lcochran
I drive 75 cb750F, stock.  On my drive to work today, 50 miles(25 on interstate).  When i got to work, i noticed my boot and my khaki's(left leg) had a small splatter(looks airrated) of oil on them about the size of a pen dot on a page.  I also noticed a little on the outside of the engine, on the front side of the AC generator area i believe.  Below the cylinders and exhaust area.

Any idea where its coming from?  Would a bad exhaust/header gasket leak oil?

Re: Slight Oil Leak?

Exhaust header gasket would not leak oil. Can you put up a picture?

Re: Slight Oil Leak?

lcochran
Next time i see it, i'll load a picture.  It doesnt happen always or often.

Re: Slight Oil Leak?

same prob on my bike, seen on many others as well.  most likely valve cover gasket (9 out of 10 times).  but head and cylinder base gasket are possibilities as well.  only way to fix is pull motor out of frame and change gasket.  when you find leak you will know how far into motor you have to go.  valve cover is easy any more takes some mechanical knowledge.   i plan on rebuilding my motor eventually so mine has been a bad leaker for a while.  leaves a large oil lake on garage floor over winter but it only takes a quart every few months.  if it ain't bad just put up with it and keep an eye on the oil level.  don't wear nice shoes or pants though

Re: Slight Oil Leak?

I suggest that you clean the engine and then run it and just watch. Usually you will get build up around the area leaking oil. It will be dirty and oily to the touch. Good chance it is a head gasket and you may just be able to retorque and go for a bit yet.