Sudden loss of electric

Gedward
I just bought my first bike (cb750four) 1976a few months ago and aside from some minor upkeep it's been a great bike. Today I was riding along just fine today but when I stopped to get some smokes I came back out and when I turned it on the oil and neutral lights wouldn't come on. I figure it's an electrical issue because the battery is fully charged. I pulled the electrical schematic and traced it best I could but didn't see any loose connections. I pulled off the thing you put the key in and checked the wires and they were all in place. Does anybody have any ideas what might have happened?

Second question I pushed it home (embarrassing I know) and I forgot to turn off the fuel valve, did I do and permanent damage?  It was leaking gas like crazy when I got home. I figure I was pumping gas through the bike without burning it off so it should be ok but I'm freaking out.

Again this is my first bike ever and I chose it because they have a great reputation and I want to learn to fix them myself so please any help minus the obvious sarcastic remarks would be awesome.

Re: Sudden loss of electric

First calm down You did not do any harm to the bike. The gas is coming out the over flow tubes on the carbs. What happens is, the needle valves get gummed up, and do not seal. Try tapping on the float bowels with the handle of a screw driver. That should dislodge anything keeping them from sealing. Then run some sea foam through the fuel system.
Now the electric. The main fuse probably blew. These bikes are bad, for that. Both of mine had the fuses replaced with stove bolts The connections on the back of the fuse blocks are not very good, and get hot because they will not carry the amps. i replace mine with the wire in blade type fuses, and use a blade type circuit breaker, for the main. That way if something else shorts out. All I have to do is turn the key off, for a few seconds, and it will reset itself.

Re: Sudden loss of electric

Gedward
Thanks for the tip on the floats I'll give that a try. I traced the gas leak and guessed the tubes were some sort of condensation outlet but would have never guessed they were overflow tubes . As far as the fuses are concerned I actually checked them and they were all ok. My first car was always blowing fuses so I'm kinda of anal about knowing where the fuses on cars and now my bike are lol plus I always make sure I have extras on hand since that's the one thing I do know about the electronics in cars/bikes HA. I really think there is an issue with the key ignition because I got the lights to come on but they went out again just as quick.

I do have to say thanks again for letting me know about the floats because  I was really worried I had  1) ruined the bike or 2) cause a big $$$$$ repair bill.

If amazon hadn't been on back order I would have already had the service manual in hand and still been out side with a flash light tinkering.

Re: Sudden loss of electric

You can download the manual from the manual section here. The ignition switch was going to be my next suggestion. vintagecb750.com has new ones. You only need to replace the bottom of the switch. However first I would take a test light, and check, for power in, and out of the switch.

Re: Sudden loss of electric

fourwheeler04073
TOOLS do you have a picture or a link to get the fuse holders your talking about? My fuse box is crapping out on me.

Thanks

Re: Sudden loss of electric

Any auto parts store has them. Just ask, for the blade type fuse holders that wire in. It will be a little yellow plastic piece with 2 wires coming out of it. You will need 3 of them. I would also get a 15 amp blade type circuit breaker, for the main. You will probably need to trim down the fuse holder, for the circuit breaker to fit. Also I would get some of the weather proof heat shrink wire connectors to wire it in with. If you need pictures of of how I did it I can take some tonight.

Re: Sudden loss of electric

fourwheeler04073
Thanks TOOLS, a picture or 2 would be helpful

Re: Sudden loss of electric

Here you go.