Theft

Dw07u
Hey guys

After a breakfast run this past weekend, I noticed a foot-peg missing from the back, I was so bummed cuz it was still the original. Anyway, I recall seeing a guy bend down at that side of the bike, looked like he was just looking, but now I think he might have stole it...

So I ask you guys the question, have you ever had something similar happen to you? And How can I fix my side covers to the bike so that some1 won't easily steal them?

Regards
John
Dress for the fall, not the ride...

Re: Theft

Shit like this just pisses me off!!! People will steal anything today. Too damn lazy to work, for anything. I have had, so many things stolen from me; I can not even remember it all. I did have some one steal a spark plug, and plug boot off my KZ 1000 P, but nothing yet off the Toolmatic, but I always park it where I can keep an eye on it. Also I am very quick to introduce myself to anyone getting close to it.

Re: Theft

Dw07u
Crap a sparkplug???  as in like they removed it from the engine?

And yeah it might be a good idea to introduce myself, but it just not possible

It was parked with lots of other bikes, and lots of people around, but it happened so quick... I had to get some aftermarket ones now

Getting anything remotely original here in SA is like a treasure hunt...
Dress for the fall, not the ride...

Re: Theft

Yep right out of the engine while it was on my back patio. SA? Where is SA? I thing vintagecb750.com has the correct rear foot pegs, for your bike, and they are not very expensive.

Re: Theft

Dw07u
SA - South Africa, It's located on the southest south part of Africa, I should actually have said RSA, as that is how it is more commonly known, where R stands for Republic. We hosted the soccer world cup last year, not that I'm in to soccer...

so is your land not fenced in?
Dress for the fall, not the ride...

Re: Theft

Fenced in? Not yet, but the state of Arizona is working on it.
There is a salesman at my local Honda dealer that is from SA. I always chat with him when I go in. He is thinking about joining me on my ride to South America I am planning.
How about some pictures of SA?

Re: Theft

I all most forgot. A simple trick to keep someone from walking off with your side covers; is to drill a small hole on the edge somewhere, and tie wrap it to the frame. If done right you can take the cover loose, and let it hang from the tie wrap while working on the bike.

Re: Theft

Dw07u
I will get some pictures up of my beautiful country some time later

TOOLS1 wrote
I all most forgot. A simple trick to keep someone from walking off with your side covers; is to drill a small hole on the edge somewhere, and tie wrap it to the frame. If done right you can take the cover loose, and let it hang from the tie wrap while working on the bike.
TOOLS
Just checking what you mean by tie wrap? as in cable ties or what?
Dress for the fall, not the ride...

Re: Theft

Yup.  Cable ties, Ty-Rap, bundle ties. Here in the States, one can find a nice assortment in the home improvement stores.

Re: Theft

Dw07u
cool, got some black ones, will see what I can do later.

my new aftermarket passenger foot-pegs should arrive a bit later...
Dress for the fall, not the ride...

Re: Theft

I had the backrest on my sissy bar ripped off. It was a homemade job, why the hell steals a homemade job!?
A sparkplug is useful in someway to crackheads apparently, plus the porcelain can be used to shatter car windows like no ones business.
As for keeping on sidecovers, you can drill a hole in the peg and put a wire or something in there to hold it on.
Just make it hard to see and it should help.

Re: Theft

Dw07u
Thanks

But I think I found a way, will upload some photos later today
Dress for the fall, not the ride...

Re: Theft

kramit
I agree with re-run and LukeM Just drill hole, and use electrcal cable ties.
I have slots on my side cover, and just feed around upper frame bar.
May not stop theft but will keep from  blowing off bike.

Re: Theft

Gotta love cable ties.  So useful: holds wires and hoses, side covers (!), and cops use them as riot cuffs.  They work great at holding 2 thumbs together...or so I'm told.

That works for me, Kramit.  I approve.

Re: Theft

Dw07u
Thats exactly what I want to do, but i'm gonna park at least two per side cover, and my seat will cover it nicely, so no1 will see, and to get clippers in there is gonna be hard too, flip just waiting to get the time to do it, been so busy...
Dress for the fall, not the ride...

Re: Theft

Cheryl
Zip ties are so rad...I have used them to attach body work and tie down cables.  Once my employer had a meeting w/the garage door and tore off her bumper.  I did a quick fix with the zip tie...and it has been 5 yrs since then.

I have friends who install hidden kill switches in their bikes to start them.  Luckily I have never had anything stolen from me...but my friend had her entire cbr stolen while her friend was watching.  They never thought it was being stolen because they seemed professional and it was being towed.

Now, when i feel uncomfortable I use a bike lock on my front wheel.  Something is better than nothing.

Re: Theft

Dw07u
Thats bad ey, getting a whole cbr stolen... must suck... did you catch the okes? And yes cable ties are amazing
Dress for the fall, not the ride...