Welding, what do you know?

Re: Welding, what do you know?

Lucky 1
To "type out" an entire welding course even just for MIG welding on this forum would be unreasonable.

All of the questions you have about welding could be answered in the first week of a beginning welding course.

Go to www.weldingweb.com and ask your specific questions.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Welding, what do you know?

Lucky 1
Exhausts are made with tubing not pipe. So we call it "exhaust pipe", but it is built with TUBING.

Tubing is measured by the OD and is + or - .002 thousandths.
Pipe is measured by the ID and can be as much as .250 inch  difference on the OD

It is tack welding not tac welding.

All welding joints need to be sanded clean before welding.
A grinding wheel may be too rough for thin exhaust tubing. Try a 80 or 100 grit flap wheel.

The reason to tack weld the exhaust tube in 3 or four spots is to make sure the tube does not get out of round while welding in addition to keeping it aligned.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Welding, what do you know?

Well said, Donald.

My only vehicular project, potentially in queue, might be welding half-slugs into a baffle for some mufflers, to quiet them down.  Not a critical system, by any means.  In my reading on the topic, I discovered very quickly, that without the ability to test my weld joints, I could not trust my skills on anything load bearing (had been considering building a trailer hitch mount for my Voyager, but not anymore -- gave up on the idea of a trailer, entirely, for other reasons).  My plans are to keep to hobby type welds, and non-load bearing, non-critical stuff on any vehicles.

With regards to classes at your local community colleges, you may not find anything online -- call them anyway.  There is nothing listed as available in my area, but that doesn't mean it is not available -- it just isn't publicized.  There is nothing like hands-on, teacher led, training, with expert feedback.  Cheers!

Re: Welding, what do you know?

Peterwh
I'm surprised no one pointed out that I am an idiot for saying you need AC to weld stainless in my earlier post.  You do not.  You need dc. I typed stainless but I meant to type aluminum.

Re: Welding, what do you know?

No big deal.Typos happen.No need to get real picky about them.Thanks for the correction,though.I didnt catch it either

Re: Welding, what do you know?

Lucky 1
Your answer on welding filler wires and metals needs more explanation.

When you buy a MIG welding machine and it comes supplied with a spool of wire
that wire has a number on it. It means something.  That number tells you what the properties of that filler wire are. IT also may require a certain technique for welding ,for instance if the number ends in S that means single pass. It the wire number ends in MP it means multiple pass and so on.

Each part of the number is telling you about the properties of that wire.

EVERYONE needs to get a Pocket welding guide so you can look up these numbers.
IT tells you amperage settings for different metal thicknesses and many other things.
The pocket welding guide by HOBART is for sale on Ebay. YOU HAVE TO HAVE ONE. Read that again.

There are many types of stainless steel and aluminum and steel and each type requires a particular welding filler wire.

Like I said go to welding web.com
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Welding, what do you know?

My apologies to anyone left in the dark after my welding "explanations".Thank you for elaborating where i was not able to,Donald.I do not have the privilege of being a certified welder,or be able to say i have attended any instructional classes.I would love to if I ever find the tima.I admittedly am i self taught welder.I will try to help answer question whenever i can to the best of my ability.I am glad there are others here that can add to my limited knowledge,and help me to learn as well.I did not know that about the single pass/multi pass wire.Thanks!

Re: Welding, what do you know?

Daddyman
Ribs don't apologize for being a self taught welder, after all it's in my "Certified Welders" experience that self taught welders are the best.  Welders straight out of school have knowledge but lack experience.  Self taught guys get their knowledge through experience.  Ive seen more school kids have to re test on there welding part of the test than any one else.  So with that said Weld first, school later, and save the structural welds for when you know how.
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Welding, what do you know?

Piute
  Welding, what do you know?

  that my welds hold but look like poo,just lack of practice .

Re: Welding, what do you know?

Lucky 1
To me self taught means that the person DID read and study about welding and have learned by reading ,videos and listening and talking to other welders. It does not just mean they know how to "run a bead."

BTW...To take the certified welders exam with the American Welding Society one of the requirement is 3 years of actual on the job experience, in addition to the other information that must me aquired, and an eye exam.
On a Roadstar Adventure.
12