What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
Here is mine. Simple D.O.T. approved brain bucket.
Making Laps, Twisting the Throttle and Cruzz control, it just don't get any better!

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

I wear one something like that (only because I have to in MO,) but mine is not DOT approved, and has cool stickers all over it.
TOOLS
P.S. If anybody goes off on me with a lecture about being unsafe because of my choice of wearing a helmet, or not wearing a helmet I will ban them!!!!

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

When I got back into MCs, I decided to go pretty basic.  It's a CL-16 Hellion from HJC.  It's a good fit for my extra large head, and the price was around $130 US.  Full face helmet, pinlock system, works very well (except for the venting: needs more), and isn't all that heavy.  It's got pretty gaudy graphics, and that's the idea: increase visibility to the cagers.

The one that fit me the best was a $400 Shoei, but I didn't want to drop that kind of coin not knowing how long I'd be riding.  I may upgrade to one of those, in electric/Day-Glo orange or green.

Any skid lid is better than nothing at all. You've only got one brain. Use it or lose it.

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

          The coconut I use a friend bought cause it matched my "other" bike (Blk.Cherry)
                         been drop and scuffed plenty of time's .
          Personally would prefer NOT TO WEAR one at times,Makes it hard to pick up chicks to
                                 (unless you carry extra)
                          Can see there hanging on mirror 3/4 shell has ear muffs too

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

TOOLS1 wrote
 If anybody goes off on me with a lecture about being unsafe because of my choice of wearing a helmet, or not wearing a helmet I will ban them!!!!
You hit the nail on the head!It is a personal choice! The fact that local gov't can tell us what we can do with our own safety really irks the ^%(*) outta me I wear my seat belt because I want to. I make Crys wear one because...well,you know. And you'll never see me on a bike without a full face helmet.But I do not see where gov't has any right to institute these as laws. It is a matter of personal safety,not public safety!

- A dump truck dropped a huge grave once. Bounced off I-81and cracked my visor.
- I ate a mail box with my head just recently
- Numerous flying pea gravel/massive insects in the visor
- I caught a recap on the shoulder once-coulda been my face,though
- I killed a bat with my right knee one night-again,coulda been my face

^^^too many reasons for me to cover up. I dont care if somebody thinks I look dorky in my full face or not. They can look cool with a dump truck rock to the face if they like. I'll continue to ride- protected. Not preaching,just saying.

And my lid. With recent mailbox rashInternal,flip up sun visor makes riding a joy.

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

Hoosier Daddy
Here's mine. AFX Full Face in flat black. Far from the most expensive at $70 from Motorcycle-Superstore but is fits well now that it's broke in, and has good ventilation... but noisey at speed.

81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

barelycompetent
Heres a link to the one I just recently bought!  High visibility, and that "retro" feel with my cafe racer!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Easy-Rider-Captain-America-Stars-Stripes-DOT-Motorcycle-Open-Face-Helmet-XS-XX-/121047720041?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item1c2f01a069&vxp=mtr
I know enough to get me in trouble.

1981 Yamaha XS650 Special(current cafe, code name El Diablo Rojo)

1981 CM400C, completed project (code name Home Wrecker)

1981 CB750K, completed project (code name Winter Blues)
SOLD 9-21-2013 gone but certainly not forgotten.

2009 USA Choppers Bad Boy, rigid frame custom chopper.

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

barelycompetent wrote
Peter Fonda on a cafe racer. Your kidding arnt you?

2009 USA Choppers Bad Boy, rigid frame custom chopper.

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

seestheday
I wear a high vis full face. The bright yellow high vis.

That's my personal choice

Safe as I can be. Riding like people are trying to kill you but make it look like an accident is what I really advise.

If you lived in Canada, and you were made a vegetable because you rode without a bucket it would cost me tax money to support you....
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

MarkPBG
I wear a full face on long rides, and a skid lid to work and local hangouts. The latter two rides rarely exceed 45MPH, but like you said, personal choice. I do wear polycarbonate motorcycling sunglasses with the skid lid, I'm not chancing my eyesight to a rock or bug at highway speeds.

This is my Skid Lid....

This is my main helmet..Shoei RF-1100

No stickers yet, though a paint job is planned for the skid lid, it's my cafe helmet, so will likely carry a design to match the bike when it's done.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

That Shoei looks really nice,Mark.What model is it? How does it do as far as noise?

amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

Charlie1717
I've got the rf1000 in gloss black... picked it up for $40 and it was only worn once!

I really like mine, and like you said it is very quiet and comfortable. It also has nice intakes/exhausts to let air flow through the helmet.. Plus it is really easy to swap the shield, from tinted to clear.
____________________________________
1972 Honda CB750Four
when I'm night riding the bike I'm driving my...
1992 Ford Festiva BP 1.8l Swap

Bargersville, IN

amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

Half-Caf
I tried on a LOT of helmets before purchasing a new one, and of course the one that fit me best was a $600 Arai.
As a frugal young lad, I decided that the next-best was good enough, so I bought a Scorpion exo helmet:

The pattern is called "rapture" and yes, I even dropped the extra $50 for a reflective visor because I think it looks pretty BA
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

free2ride
I've got a Scorpion EXO myself. just look above and imagine: matte black, regular visor. best fit. thought the drop down sunglasses were dumb and that I'd just wear my clip-ons, but they work out pretty well.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: What kind of skid lid do you guys wear if any?

I wear prescription eyeglasses so sunglasses would be super expensive for me. Plus carrying two pairs of specs everywhere would be a pain. The best part about the drop down sunglasses IMO is when you are riding in the mountains. Constantly riding in/out of the shade. Towards/away from the sun changing directions on a twisty road. And tree covered areas with intermittent sunlight breaking thru really screws up your eye. darlbrightdarkbrighdarkbright all in a split second. Just being able to slide the drop downs into to place is real handy,I think.

Halfcaf,how does that reflective visor do at night?
12