Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

Its the highest point my side of the Mississippi. Id like to see it and the view from the top. Its in Yancey County, North Cackalacka.
Who all wants to go? I'm planning on cutting out of Montvale around 7-8 am.

Lets get a good long ride in before all the warm weather goes away. :)

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

Nobody?!

Weather report is not looking good. Mount Mitchel has a 70% chance of storms Saturday. So... I checked out Eastern VA, WV and pretty much everything that was in a 200-300 mile radius of me and it all has a 50%+ chance of rain and/or storms this weekend. Gonna play it by ear for now but I may put this off til next weekend.

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

Hey I'll meet you there. If you get there before me, just wait on the top, and I will be along as soon as I can.

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

free2ride
sorry, a bit out of my way right now. in fact, what I should do is sit a day after long riding days [I'm feeling it right now].

pushing to be home next Thursday instead of Sunday [3800km/2400mi]. I don't think I'm going to make it. the gel seat is starting to feel like it is made of bricks.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

Whoa! You're 3800 km away from home now?!?!

This little trip is definitely not gonna happen this weekend. Weather just ain't cutting it. I fully intend on going next weekend though. That gives anybody that wants to go a week to think about it.

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

free2ride
nope, now only 2800km!

and fwiw, I've had 10 solid minutes of rain on this trip. 10 only! drizzle on and off a couple of days on Vancouver Island. I have been very fortunate!
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

2800 km left...you're a  machine! Be safe out there buddy.

So I've been doing some actual planning regarding this trip. As of now the plan is to leave home Friday after work and set up a tent at Willville Bike Camp in the Meadows of Dan area. Taking the Blue ridge Parkway down. The Parkway at my house is mile marker 106. Willville is mile 178~. Roughly two hours away.

So I'll leave here around 7-8 pm and head out there. A tent spot for a solo is $15.$22 for two-up.

Willville Bike Camp

This gets me within 4 hours of Mount Mitchell via Parkway. But first thing in the am after leaving the camp I figured I'd go check out Mabry Mill. It's literally right next door at mile marker 176. Should make for a good place to get breakfast.

Mabry Mill

Roughly one tank of fuel later I should be at  Grandfather Mountain at mile post 305. I'd like to see the swinging bridge.

Grandfather Mountain

At mile post 316 I'll stop and check out Linville Falls.Why not? I'll be right there...

Linville Falls

Mount Mitchell is at mile 355. I'll see what time it is at this point and decide if I'll double back to Willville to camp ,or I might camp at Mount Mitchell and then hoof it back home on Sunday. Just have to play this part by ear.

Mount Mitchell

Who's in?

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

free2ride
shinyribs wrote
2800 km left...you're a  machine!
no, I'm an idiot. I'm pushing to hard to get home.

600km today, 700KM tomorrow . . . then I've got to slow down. it isn't worth being dead to try to get home earlier. but I've been gone too long and am ready to face the world again. and crawl into my own bed. and not be alone.

Be safe out there buddy.
will do!

and you have a great weekend.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

There's nothing like being in your own bed at night. I guess I must have missed something,but I had no idea you were out on a long haul! I hope you're taking pics.

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

I used to drive truck over the road, and I learned a very good lesson while doing it, and I shared it with every new driver I met. The lesson is "never go home tired!" I would tell them "even if you are only an hour, or so from being home, go on, pull over, and rest." It is much better to come home fresh in the morning then exhausted late at night.

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

So the weather looks doable this weekend. And since next weekend is a holiday I don't want to postpone it anymore.

I'm actually thinking about cutting out tonight. I have a job I can do.Friday, but its not pressing.

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

'Twas a nice lil trip.  You should've come !

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

Be careful what you ask for buddy. Honestly,I'm bummed to be home. This is the first time ever that I've gone on any sort of trip and dreaded coming back. It's a strange feeling for me. I do have pics,lots of them. I'll upload something in a few days. Just not in the mood for technology right about now.

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

I took 256 pictures! Wow.That really surprised me when I downloaded them. I had intentions of posting a trip report but, due to my little trip, I am now swamped and way behind with work. But....proof that I made it.

Re: Who wants to go to Mount Mitchell this Saturday ?

free2ride
shinyribs wrote
 Honestly,I'm bummed to be home. This is the first time ever that I've gone on any sort of trip and dreaded coming back. It's a strange feeling for me.
I'm with you there!

I do have pics,lots of them.
I'm with you there, too! I'm trying to put a presentation together for my family . . . think I'm halfway through the trip and I've edited down to 256 pics. a ways to go.

Hang in there! My office days start next Tuesday -- it's going to be an interesting experience to say the least!