Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
I am on sabbatical this summer [about time if you ask me!] and have decided to spend it mostly on the road. A time of reflection and renewal [and clearing my brain -- no comments on that one, please].

Sabbatical starts the beginning of June and ends the beginning of September.

2 weeks to "decompress" in town, a convention until the end of June, and away I go.

Planning is underway . . . I head out the 19th to KW, the 20th to Ann Arbor, and the 21st I'm in Indy. Ride planned for the 22nd, then in meetings until the 27th when I leave for Winnipeg.

A question, oh those who have travelled the roads . . . is it better to take the 65-94-29 [or some off-roads], the 74-80-94-29, or the 80-29. Or . . . hey, I'm up for suggestions, but I should be in Winnipeg by Saturday the 29th [though I can always delay a day]. I don't expect snow, but will hunker down if there is a solid storm . . . after all, I kinda don't need to be anywhere anytime, it's just my own schedule.

And I'm glad to stop for coffee anywhere on the way if anyone is nearby.

A week in Winnipeg, on the road to Saskatchewan on the 6th. Must be in Calgary the 13th. Then two weeks until my next "must be" [Okanagan Valley].

Leave Kelowna the 8th of August for Vancouver then the Island [there's a road between Nanaimo and Ucluelet that I'm dying to ride] . . . then I make my way back east.

Next question: via Canada or the States [I-90, I-94 though I'm again open to suggestions].

Back home by the 28th or 29th of August.

This is an honest call for suggestion . . . jump right in [but don't be mad if I don't take everyone up].

Oh, and there are financial considerations as well . . . I am not being reimbursed for travel!
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool
I 80/90 is toll road. Very nice road, however. But financial considerations say you should keep that in mind. It can get pricey (over $30, possibly more) for the privilege of riding that road - all dependent on distance traveled.

I-94 is 3 lane from Canada to Ann Arbor, then 2 lane. Also free. From Detroit to Ann Arbor depending on time, those 3 lanes feel like 1 steel trap. Or a lot of open road, with a few cops hiding out to find you. Our budgets out here are shot, so they do make money on tickets. Quotas are very real here in the states, at least in the Midwest.

If you would like, I would be more than happy to put you in touch with my father. He's an ex-trucker, a veteran of the road (and military, but that's different) and also a very avid biker. So he could work with you to put together a plan and smart general path for your travels. He's not traveled much of Canada that I'm aware of, but can most definitely help state-side roads.

Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

I've never strayed far from my own homeso I can't help you at all bud. But it sounds like an awesome thing you got planned. Best wishes,be safe and keep us posted,please.So jealous right now

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
hey, cda, I'd love for you to put me in touch with your father . . . every little help helps!

I've been talking about this since last October, kinda planning for it since January. had a talk with my wife this morning and she told me how mad she was at me for thinking about going . . . and then told me that there is no way that I'm not [where's that "women's brain" thing?]. said she's worried about me being away for three months [worried for me on the road, and the fact that she'll be lonely -- that part of it is a relief, in that she won't find someone to replace me!] but that I have to take the opportunity. I have no idea how I'll survive, but because there are only a few days that I "have to be there" I can relax . . . which is the whole idea behind this summer.

it's 34°F right now . . . but I got my bike out of the shop yesterday [once again I'm jealous at those of you who can do your own work -- I have no garage/workshop and little mechanical aptitude even if I did]; it was great to be on the road for a bit anyway. into the mid-50s today and the rest of the week.

still some things I want to do . . .. like get a rideable seat, and put a power adapter in so I can plug a GPS in [anyone know how difficult it would be to do so?].

shiny, I'll be keeping everyone up to date and bugging you all with the most minute of questions.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool

Putting a plug in is quite easy. Remove headlight, test wires for keyed hot with test light, run power from that with splice connector to where you want power, tie in to power device, run ground to any 'ol place with good ground. Congrats, you now have a keyed plug.

That's how I did mine. Next time I see my dad (May 18) I will pass along your email address to him.

On Apr 23, 2013 7:05 AM, "free2ride [via Honda CB750'S]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Trip-Planning-Summer-2013-tp4039727p4039794.html
To unsubscribe from Trip Planning: Summer 2013, click here.
NAML
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
cdaiscool wrote
Putting a plug in is quite easy. Remove headlight, test wires for keyed hot
with test light, run power from that with splice connector to where you
want power, tie in to power device, run ground to
doesn't need to be fused? excellent.

I'd prefer to ride home through the States [just for variety and exploration] . . . so I look forward to hearing from your dad [or from anyone with hints].

have heard about the motorcycle travel network -- seems an interesting option.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

If possible, consider traveling through Ontario, along the north shore of Lake Superior...  It is gorgeous!  We circled Superior in '09, in July:  average temperature of 56 F, rained all four days through Canada, but it was a bucket-list trip, and in spite of being cold and wet the entire time in Canada, we loved it!  Watch out for bears and moose, though, as they will run out in front of you.  The Trans-Canadian Highways are excellent blacktop, two-lanes mostly, except near metro areas.  The people are extremely friendly, common (in the very best way), and fun to visit with.  The scenery is awe-inspiring, to put it mildly.

The Canadian highway heading west, into Winnepeg, after you leave Ontario and enter into Manitoba, is incredibly boring, flat land, which is very much like I-90, through SW Minnesota -- take some No-Doz before you enter either stretch.  Try to make your way through southern Ontario, if possible.  Kenora is amazing:  'mountains' rising up all around, with lakes in the valleys, with islands, and homes on the islands.  It is truly beautiful country, where many Hollywood types supposedly have mansions as get-away's (very believable, once you see how stunning it is).  In Ontario, you will see fox, and beaver, many times, along the roadways, with possible moose, and black bears, as well.

We never had an issue finding a motel in Canada, but the Northshore Area of Minnesota can be more challenging: fewer motels (maybe), and plenty of resorts, and cabins -- which may be booked solid all Summer...  Just be prepared to look for a place to stay before it gets too late in the day.  Mom & Pop motels are the most fun, but they don't always end up being a money saver -- ain't a lot to choose from, few of them around.  Internet is not always available, and if it is, it can be very slow -- dial-up speeds on a wi-fi.

The Northern Minnesota Iron Range area is quite majestic, plenty to see, as well.  The North Shore region (referring to Lake Superior's shorelines) is fantastic, similar to southern Ontario, though not as wild; there are many rivers draining into Superior, with State Park hiking trails to explore (along MN Highway 61, running along the shoreline) -- don't miss these, if you are in the area!  If you travel this region, be aware that MN Highway 1 is curvy enough to make a dog vomit -- my brother's friend took his dog on it, in a car, and it got sick from the twisties...  No joke.  You may want to avoid that -- goes into Ely, MN, through some virgin wilderness (Superior National Forest area).

You may want to contact the tourist offices for areas you plan to ride through.  They can supply you with current State/Provincial maps, as well as coupons for lodging, and an abundance of information on sites to visit.  For Minnesota, visit Explore Minnesota.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
sgtslag wrote
If possible, consider traveling through Ontario, along the north shore of Lake Superior...  It is gorgeous!
I don't know how many times I've done that trip . . . always 4 wheels though. we used to travel Ottawa to Winnipeg twice a year along that highway [sometimes crossing at the Soo on the "southern route"]. If I come back through Canada I'll be hitting that stretch for sure.

I think that I have driven the TransCanada from end to end over time, with the exception of about 300 km in Britich Columbia which I'll do this summer. some time I'll have to go east on the bike -- was supposed to be last year but didn't work out.

We circled Superior in '09, in July:  average temperature of 56 F, rained all four days through Canada
and I am hoping for better travel weather, of course.

The Canadian highway heading west, into Winnepeg, after you leave Ontario and enter into Manitoba, is incredibly boring, flat land, which is very much like I-90, through SW Minnesota
It gets no more interesting heading the TC west either . . . until you hit Alberta. Flat flat flat . . . and straight.

We never had an issue finding a motel in Canada, but the Northshore Area of Minnesota can be more challenging: fewer motels (maybe), and plenty of resorts, and cabins -- which may be booked solid all Summer...  Just be prepared to look for a place to stay before it gets too late in the day.
While my plan is to ride early stop early with a little exploration along the way, this is a good reminder . . . thanks. I've done my times of sleeping in the car when I didn't stop early enough [no such option this summer!] . . . and I'm not taking a tent along.

The Northern Minnesota Iron Range area is quite majestic, plenty to see, as well.  The North Shore region (referring to Lake Superior's shorelines) is fantastic, similar to southern Ontario, though not as wild; there are many rivers draining into Superior, with State Park hiking trails to explore (along MN Highway 61, running along the shoreline) -- don't miss these, if you are in the area!
A very real possibility now with your recommend!

If you travel this region, be aware that MN Highway 1 is curvy enough to make a dog vomit
If that isn't a "you MUST ride this road" I don't know what is!

Thanks!
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

sgtslag
LOL!  We tried to ride MN Highway 1, but it was closed for reconstruction, so we had to take a different route.

The Iron Range has museums which are very interesting to visit:  an underground iron mine turned into a State Park, which will take you down into the old mine to explore the levels -- very fascinating; there is a football museum in International Falls, dedicated to a legend, whose name I don't remember, he also wrestled, in the 1950's, with Verne Gagne (sp?); there is a gargantuan paper mill in International Falls, which holds tours -- actually quite interesting to see their uber-ginormous paper-making machines, 4-5 stories tall, bigger footprint than a football field; a Greyhound Bus Company museum which was actually rather interesting, as it detailed the entire history of buses, and how they came into being, in Northern Minnesota, and then spread out from there, across the USA, and abroad; there are other museums in the area, as well.  It is a fascinating region to explore -- contact Explore Minnesota for information on all of these sites along your route.  Cheers!

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

seestheday
Free2ride, what do you do for a living? I love the idea of sabbaticals...
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
seestheday wrote
Free2ride, what do you do for a living? I love the idea of sabbaticals...
think Ottawa . . . and think "the other kind"

I've been working on going a sabbatical for the past three years . . . it's recommended we take one every 7 years; I've never had one [it's been 29 years].

not a paid vacation [as much as it may look like one] -- a time of contemplation and reflection . . . and I've got 2 book outlines; I may even get one of them fleshed out.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

sgtslag
Interstate 90/94 through Wisconsin, and Minnesota, is pretty boring.  Are you trying to make time?  If possible, try taking two-lane highways, instead.  They're slower, but you will see/experience so much more.

In Wisconsin, all of their State and County Highways are fully paved (usually in excellent condition)!  Minnesota is another matter, when it comes to County Highways, but all State Highways are paved, though in varying conditions:  some new, some in need of repairs/repaving.

The Mississippi River Valley corridor is quite lovely, with roads running up/down both sides, in all States along its length.  You could possibly ride due West from Indianapolis, until you hit the River, then turn North.  It is quite scenic, though it can take additional time due to slower speeds, and more traffic (not too much during the week, but weekends it will be packed...).  Wisconsin State Highway 35 runs along the River, from La Crosse, North; the Minnesota side is nice, but it pales compared to the Wisconsin side.  It is some of the best along the River -- avoid it on weekends!  It will, literally, be stop-and-crawl traffic, as it is that popular.  Lots of little towns, with ice cream parlors, and good restaurants to stop and eat in.  It is full of winding roads, through beautiful bluffs -- some of the best scenic riding in the area.

Hope you don't mind more suggestions.  Whatever route you take, enjoy.  Cheers!

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
sgtslag wrote
Hope you don't mind more suggestions.
Mind? Are you kidding? This is what I'm after!!!

As in . . .

Interstate 90/94 through Wisconsin, and Minnesota, is pretty boring.  Are you trying to make time?  If possible, try taking two-lane highways, instead.  They're slower, but you will see/experience so much more.
. . . finding out this. A suggested highway number or two, perhaps?

especially this one:

The Mississippi River Valley corridor is quite lovely, with roads running up/down both sides, in all States along its length.  You could possibly ride due West from Indianapolis, until you hit the River, then turn North.  It is quite scenic, though it can take additional time due to slower speeds, and more traffic (not too much during the week, but weekends it will be packed...).  Wisconsin State Highway 35 runs along the River, from La Crosse, North; the Minnesota side is nice, but it pales compared to the Wisconsin side.  It is some of the best along the River -- avoid it on weekends!  It will, literally, be stop-and-crawl traffic, as it is that popular.  Lots of little towns, with ice cream parlors, and good restaurants to stop and eat in.  It is full of winding roads, through beautiful bluffs -- some of the best scenic riding in the area.
Well, I started to change my itinerary, but you're right . . . it adds time . . . like a week! I have to be in Winnipeg by Sunday; I can add a day only -- unfortunately [unless I skip a day of meetings . . . (takes a deep breath and sighs; can't be done)].

I'm going to have to work on it later . . . glad for the info though!
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

sgtslag
I would suggest taking I-90 West, through Wisconsin, until you reach Onalaska, WI.

There, you can pick up Wis. Hwy. 35 North.  This will wind along the Mississippi (mostly), for quite a ways, until you reach Prescott, WI.

In Prescott, WI, you will want to pick up US Hwy. 10 North.

US-Hwy. 10 North will lead you to I-494 North, on the SE corner of St. Paul.

Follow I-494 North, which will become I-694 North, then West, as it loops around the metro area.

I-694 will merge with MN Hwy. 49.

Follow MN-49 to I-35W North, which will carry you to US Hwy. 10 West Exit, in Mounds View.  Following this route will take you through these towns:  Sauk Rapids (near St. Cloud), Detroit Lakes (pretty area), and on to Fargo.

Follow US Hwy. 10 West all the way to Fargo, where you can pick up I-94 West, and continue your journey on Interstate, as needed.

If you can't afford enough time to follow US 10 West, after you leave the metro area, just stay on I-694 until it meets up with I-94 West, on the western side of Minneapolis, and skip the smaller towns along US 10.

I'd suggest using Google Earth, or similar, to get a better view/idea of what these areas look like, before you commit to any path.  They will give you a pretty good idea of what you can expect.  The ground shots, in various locations, will show you what the road surface looked like, when the photo was taken (look for dates), to see if it is good enough to ride on.  Cheers!

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
so, it looks like this is actually going to happen [I figured something would come up].

planning continues.

Sarge: I'm looking to you here [thanks for the help].

Indy to Winnipeg via La Crosse WI is two hours longer than Indy to Winnipeg via Onalaska WI.

What do you think? I'm going to extend this part of the journey to a four day ride . . . is that enough? is the sightseeing worth the extra?

Ottawa to Indy is just a straight through ride with stops for coffee in Kitchener [day one] and Ann Arbor [day 2].

and I've changed the ride through the Rockies [I'll get to that another time].

coupla things to get [I'm going TomTom for Android rather than a taking the full GPS; still have to grab some rain gear] . . . oh . . . and cash
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool
IS SIGHT-SEEING WORTH THE EXTRA?

Yes. It always is.

In other news, sorry I haven't had my dad e-mail you. Let's just say I had a falling-out with my stepmother and am not currently talking to either of them. Sorry mate.
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

sgtslag
Is the sightseeing worth it?...  For me, and my wife, most definitely, YES.  For other folks, I could not say.  What I can say is that we have ridden the stretch of the Mississippi River along the Iowa/Illinois border, and it is pretty.  The road is two-lane, not perfectly straight, but not tremendously curvy, either -- it makes for a nice, leisurely ride; the speed limit is typically less than 50 MPH along this stretch, and it can have heavy traffic on it, which will keep speeds down.  There is at least one park, with a lookout deck, to take in the view of the River, which is beautiful.

The path you have mapped out, will take you along the heart of the best that stretch of River has to offer.  You will see miles, and miles of the Mississippi.  There will be many small towns along the way, particularly in Wisconsin, to stop, enjoy some pie, some ice cream, and a good meal (typically burgers and fish).  There is a motorcycle shop, Poopy's, in Illinois, which caters to the H-D culture, but some folks regard it as quite the place to visit.

As to riding this stretch, it will take you one day to cover it, maybe 2 days, if you stop a lot, smell the flowers, and do a little hiking.  There are sand-bars, mostly on the Wisconsin side, which are perfect for camping.  Not sure how accessible they would be for a bike, but they're nice.  There are other campgrounds along the route, as well, though they may be a mile from the River.

To help evaluate the area/route, use the map in satellite view, to zoom in.  There should be some photo's posted, in various spots, or maybe even some 360-degree views from the Google car's cameras.  These will help you make an informed decision about your selected route.  Cheers!