Would like jet size

Lucky 1
I know this question must have been answered many times because
my CB750 is 33 years old now.

I am building a cafe style bike and I would like to know the main jet size with
Kerker exhaust and aftermarket free flow air filters.

Must have been done MANY times now.

Thanks in advance. i appreciate your knowledge.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Would like jet size

A 33 year old so you have a 77 or 78 but is it a K or F? Or the elusive A?
The F had a 105 main and the K had a 110 main.
By after market free flow filters, I assume you mean pods right?
Let us know the year and model of bike and the brand of pods and we might give you a starting point.
Keep in mind that every engine is different and so we can only give a start point.

Re: Would like jet size

Lucky 1
Oh ,sorry about the lack of info.

It is a 1978 K model.
It will have those cone shaped pods for air filters.
and four into 2 into 1 exhaust Kerker cafe style.
The exhaust has some removable mufflers inside it.
I will probably keep the mufflers.

i got the exhaust from cycle exchange.
The mains in it now are 110's.

The exhausts are from cycleX (exchange)
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Would like jet size

I myself would rather have a severe beating, then to re-jet keyhole carbs However, rather then blue your new pipes, by being too lean. I would raise the needle one notch, and use a 120 to start.

Re: Would like jet size

Lucky 1
What do you mean "keyhole" carbs?
The exhausts are BLACK no worries about pipes blueing.

I have the carbs off now. They are easy to change the main jet.

On these CR type carbs i do not see the idle jet.
Is it hidden?

On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Would like jet size

The 77-78 carbs are referred to as "key hole," because of the shape of the top cover.

Re: Would like jet size

Lucky 1
What is hard about rejetting the carbS?

The Honda VF v4 engine series is the absolute worst carbs I have ever worked on.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Would like jet size

donald branscom wrote
What is hard about rejetting the carbS?
What is easy about it? I will admit the old round tops are easier then the Key hole carbs (you do not need to remove, and disassemble them to change the needle settings).

Re: Would like jet size

Lucky 1
I agree that the "old" (good) style were better because You could just unclip the float bowl
and take a jet out easily.

After that all the float bowls had screws and made removal of the entire carb set mandatory!

The float bowls held on with clips never failed.
Someone probably did not put the clip on correctly and sued HONDA.

Many "improvements" on cars and motorcycles were initiated with a lawsuit.
Some were good changes and some were a pain in the rear.

On a Roadstar Adventure.