cb750k noisy clutch

bigjim
My 1978 cb750k has a noisy clutch.  Makes the noise only when clutch is engaged, either moving or sitting still, pull in clutch lever (dis-engage) and noise goes immediately away.  Clutch does not slip or chatter, just noisy.  Anybody experience this problem before?  Is this curable without a complete clutch job?

Re: cb750k noisy clutch

79scooter
Hi...I have a 79 that does the same thing...Ive heard of two different things..although i'm going to
 have this verified by some guys that deal with older bikes...i will let You know......planning on
 going there in the next couple of weeks..will let You know... dave

Re: cb750k noisy clutch

zzster
BIg Jim:  That is kind of a characteristic of these clutches.  The basket and/or plates get worn and they rattle around against each other.  Don't know of a fix other than replacing.  Helmet with padding over the ears my friend and live with it?
zzster

Re: cb750k noisy clutch

CBman

Re: cb750k noisy clutch

gcarper
Only time I had clutch noise was when the carbs weren't in synch.

Re: cb750k noisy clutch

greg davis
there is a very efective wayto quiet noisy clutches.  first remove the clutch basket to be sure the rivets holding the driven gear to the basket are not loose. if they are ok proceed.   notice the tangs of the friction  discs  have some clearance  where they sit in the fingers of the alum basket.  thats where the noise comes from.  take four pieces of the apropriet thickness steel shim stock bend at 90 degrees  and insert them down between the middle discs tang and the side of the clutch basketsfingerso it takes up the clearance of the middle disc only. bolt them to the clutch baskets fingers at 12oclock, 3oclock, 6oclock, and 9oclock.  on the trailing edge of the fingers. looking at the outside of the clutch  the trailing edge is the left side of the finger. bolt the shims in place with 1 4-40 allen head machine screw each. i did this on my 750 and its been in place for years and works great.  you only need to take up the crearance on one friction disc because they are all held together by the springs.