clutch basket rattle

xjr1300
hi guys i ,ve got a noisy clutch when the engine is ticking over like a rattle when i pull in the clutch lever it stops apart from that it works ok could it be the spring are weak and need replacing .

Re: clutch basket rattle

It sounds like a spring problem. They might be weak, or need adjusted.

Re: clutch basket rattle

Lucky 1
No adjustment possible.

I would take the cover off right away.
The lift plate could have come loose.
The lift plate holds the springs down.

Better check before any metal goes through the system.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: clutch basket rattle

bosco39
Hi xjr1300,
If it turns out you need a new clutch, I have one off of a K model, as well as an entire F engine in my garage. Let me know if you need it. Email bosco391 -at- yahoo -dot com.

-bosco

Re: clutch basket rattle

hondacb750f
@bosco39.   do u still have the clutch for the  81?  also do you have the two inside boots coming from the carbs tot he motor. I am looking for number one and number two?

Sorry to jack this mans thread I am reading up on clutch noise.

Re: clutch basket rattle

Clutch rattle is sexy. I love mine.

Re: clutch basket rattle

hondacb750f
ok talked to the local shop and can get the springs for about 12.00 don't now if that includes shipping.

Also a question on crush gaskets.  After replacing them between the motor and exhaust.  I started noticing  a whisping or tisking  sound coming from number four manifold.  This one was did not set in as easy as the other three.    I am wondering if I could try and reline the exhaust.  or should I get another one and try it.

It is not a stead sound more or a tisk tisk tisk.   And when I put it on I had to kinda tap it in there where the other three just fell fight in to place.

I like the rattle to,  Its just 32 years old I just want to make sure it is the right kind of rattle.

Re: clutch basket rattle

hondacb750f wrote

I like the rattle to,  Its just 32 years old I just want to make sure it is the right kind of rattle.
Very good point.

On your exhaust leak/tick. Are you sure that there is only on of the copper crush rings in there? Sometimes there are some old ones left from previous repairs and they can cause leaks if you don't dig them out. Sneaky lil things are hide to see most times. But if that one tube was really hard to get in to position it;s possible it just isn't fully seated yet.

Re: clutch basket rattle

hondacb750f
shinyribs.

  Yes I took the old one out, and wiped it the whole with a cloth to make sure I got it as clean as I could.
I wanted to tap it in but was worried. I would hurt it.  but I did not even think  to look and see if more than one was in there?   would it be obvious?

Re: clutch basket rattle

It's not really very obvious when there is an old crush gasket left behind in there. They usually are black from carbon and pretty hard to spot.

Re: clutch basket rattle

hondacb750f
ok I got the tisking to stop. so now I have good crush gaskets for sale or trade.
Maz

Re: clutch basket rattle

Maz
Very common noise on the dohc's. Check that the carbs are balanced perfectly, it really does make a difference to the clutch rattle at tick-over.

Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)