front brake slightly engaged

matthieuvde
hello everyone,
i just finished my cb350f shes completely ready for the summer, but...
my front wheel doesnt rotate that well and i think my brake
is constantly slightley engaged, after making a few test runs the front disk was realy hot couldnt touch it fot more than a few seconds.
does anyone know what the problem could be or if its a big problem or not im thinking of just running it like this if i cant fix it.
ps ive also installed braded brake lines but the priblem was there before i installed those so i assume it cant be that
Maz

Re: front brake slightly engaged

Maz
There should be an adjuster screw/locknut arrangement on the fork leg, which moves the swinging caliper closer to or further from the disc (rotor).  Check that this adjusted so that the pad in the swinging caliper is just barely touching the disc. Also,  check that the swinging caliper is free and pivots easily. The pivots are prone to seizing but are easy to strip and clean /lubricate.
Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: front brake slightly engaged

You might also want to check that the piston in the caliper is not stuck from dirt or corrosion. This would prevent the piston from moving and releasing pressure on the disc. Another thing that could cause this would be the return port in the master cylinder. Sometimes these will become plugged. It is one of the two holes in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir. You can clean it with a small wire.

Maz

Re: front brake slightly engaged

Maz
And something else  I just thought of,  along the lines of  Tools' suggestions, non-Honda brake pads tend to be a bit of a snug fit,  due to the amount of paint on the metal parts,  so if yours are aftermarket pads,  check for a nice easy fit. If they are a bit tight,  go round the edge of the backing plate with some abrasive paper or a fine file,  to remove some of the paint thickness.
Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: front brake slightly engaged

matthieuvde
completley took appart the front caliper and rebuilt but it does the same thing again... even worse now the brake pads just dont return so i realy dont know what to do now exept to buy new caliper and master cylinder anyore suggestions ?

Re: front brake slightly engaged

Did you try cleaning the return hole in the master cylinder like I suggested in my previous post?

Re: front brake slightly engaged

matthieuvde
yep i did and alot of gunk and dirt came out so i thought i was about to fix it but it still wouldnt return the brakes :/

Re: front brake slightly engaged

Try flushing the system with rubbing alcohol.