front wheel not spinning free - not normal?

front wheel not spinning free - not normal?

borissytch
Hi,
I just rebuilt both calipers: put the new seals in, cleaned the pistons and cylinders, used the old pistons and pads.
When I put the calipers back the wheel was spinning slightly touching the pads. then I put fresh break liquid and bled air. The breaks seem to work now but the wheel doesn't spin freely. I can move it with hand but it doesn't spin.
Is this not normal?

I'm still working on the bike, it's on the stand both wheels up, so i can' test drive it yet.

thanks for the advise.
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: front wheel not spinning free - not normal?

What bike/brake system do you have? I cant remember,sorry. If it is a early SOHC brake system I would suggest checking the adjuster screw.SOunds like the dead pad could be set too tight. If it is not this type of brakes...then I'm out of ideas Good luck.Hopefully someone will chime in soon

Re: front wheel not spinning free - not normal?

borissytch
it's '83 CB750SC, so i guess it's DOHC (if we'er talking about the same thing), two calipers on two break discs.

i don't understand what "dead pad set too tight" means
thanks anyway!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: front wheel not spinning free - not normal?

pat english
disc brakes are always rubbing a lil bit...

Re: front wheel not spinning free - not normal?

Piute
pat english wrote
disc brakes are always rubbing a lil bit...
              crazy but true but just a bit,looks like touching but realy not when riding mine make no noise but see no space between pad n disc.

    my dual disc has no set pad adjustment ,just bunch of clips missing one but not seem to matter.

                                                        there's my 10mm

Re: front wheel not spinning free - not normal?

borissytch wrote
it's '83 CB750SC, so i guess it's DOHC (if we'er talking about the same thing), two calipers on two break discs.

i don't understand what "dead pad set too tight" means
thanks anyway!
The dead pad remark only applies to SOHC bikes.If you had one,you would be very familiar with it!

Disc brakes do have some constant tension on them,like pat said,but your wheel should spin some after you give it a good fling.Not sure you could get a full revolution out of it or not,though. I'm not up on the DOHC brakes,so I cant help.Just wanted to let you know you dont need to worry about the dead pad . Good luck,sorry i cant help.