need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

As i am sure you all know by now,I talk too much,so I am going to try and keep this concise.I have a 76 f model ss with rear disc brake and compstars.Would like to have rear drum and wire wheels.Found a set of wire wheels with "new" tires on C-list today.Guy lives only 30 minutes away so went to talk to him.Super nice gentleman.Wheels look great.Tires are 2 years old but kept indoors always and have less than 300 miles.The little rubber hairs are still present.They came off his 75 K.They are 18's and 19's,like mine.His bike is single disc front,like mine ,and drum rear.He has another swing arm (drum setup)and all the linkage that he will throw in with the tires and wheels.And complete rear drum brake assembly(shoes,pedal,strut rod...).Plus,the wheels have all new bearings and seals already

My questions and concerns:

Will his front wheel just swap out with mine?
Do i need to swap the swing arms?And are they direct bolt-on swaps?
Will my shocks bolt back up?
Will it affect chain length?
Will it affect my having a 530 sprocket?
How much is involved in swapping from rear discs to rear drums?

I saw the tube bracket on his frame right behind the right foot peg that the rear drum brake pedal goes in.My bike does not have that as my pedal hangs off of the aluminum bracket that mounts the rear master cylinder.So,is all i have to do is add the tube to my frame?

Please,any and all advice and points of view,please! I really want to do this swap if at all possible.Sorry,that was as concise as i could do it.Thanks   Eric

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

To answer your questions.
YES
NO/YES
YES
NO
NO
A LITTLE WORK.
That will be a $1.75
TOOLS
P.S. I all most forgot.
YES
That will make it $2.00 even.

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

There you go lurking again! When i joined this forum i did not realize i was being appointed you as my personal assistant!HAHA!

The reason for asking about swapping the swing arm was that the drum swing arm has that bracket for the strut rod(probably wrong name for that part) that keeps the...innards?..of the drum from rotating.So i should just use that one,right?

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Daddyman
Why do you want to loose the disk?????If ya want I have an old honda front wheel with drum Ill sell ya.......
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

I'm not too concerned with the front disc.It's fine and these wheels i'm looking at will reuse that.I just prefer the clean look of the rear drums,but thats just me.NO OFFENSE to ANYONE with rear discs.Plus,all my years of riding dirt bikes it seems you hardly use the rear brake at all.Used to wear front pads out 4-1 versus the rears.May be different on the street,i dont know.

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Daddyman
Ya It's the same for me too, funny though how I'm trying to add a disc to mine and your throwin one out LOL.  Are ya goin to drill out the drum like in the pic you posted earlier?? That looks cool
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

It does look cool!Love to do that.Haven't ever seen the internals of it,though.Is it safe?Will it let unwanted dirt in?     I really hope this is gonna be an easy swap.According to Tools(never doubt Tools)it sounds ok.WooHoo    love me some spokes and drums

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Piute
 For the cafe look I believe you wont. That drum will put the right twist to it,Ya-No I just relized I've only changed rear brakes once on all my bikes I've owned (my 650)liked to skid with that so small.keep your eye out fer a dual disc up front,Hey they just look smart,bike will stop fine with 1.So how's the powder doing....Piute N Judose...Bro got the Kaw back

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Awww man!You stole my thunder! I am planning on doing my frame in red,too.Holding off on the powdercoating now that i got this brake swap in the air.Might require a little welding on my part to mount new brake pedal.That frame look nice!Is that paint or powder on it?

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Piute
That is A "77" KZ 750B twin that I left at my brothers,He's never even road a bike before l.o.l.I left a lot of my Chevy stuff in his shop and told him to do it up(after he ask me to get out of way)But We have lots of connections there and one is his old employer that does powder coating(they do military hydraulics)Going with Blk.spokes and chrome nipps.Going to be all show no go I think,like I said he don't ride...Piute...

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Piute
That picture will give you an Idea how much it stands out,thought you'd like it ,believe the look you wont the tank is chrome I think...Piute...here's one to get you moving "O"motivated...l.o.l.

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Love that tank!!!

Guess what,you all are not gonna believe this....i gotta question:

Ran into a bit of a snag tonight.  Bought those wheels tonight and was mocking up the back.Everything looks good out back and adding the tube for the pedal seems to be no problem.Problem is with front wheel. When i went to swap the rotor and speedo drive from my comstar to the spoke wheel, it doesn't fit. Comstar has 5 holes for the rotor,spoke has 6.At least i think, the hub has 6 holes in total. Also there seems to be nowhere for speedo to go.Haven't looked at the manual yet,but i'm assuming i need to get a different rotor and speedo drive for this spoke wheel. Pics:

Is this right?Chain look awful close to swingarm but all seems to be centered

Love spokes 'n' drums

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

I think I can set, you up with the rotor (my buddy says he has an extra), But Piute got the speedometer drive (I just addressed the envelope). However if I cleaned out the garage. I bet I could find another.

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

You are a lifesaver.So i need the correct rotor and speedo drive,that all?Any spacers?I'll take whatever you got that i need,just give me a bill.Any interest in a rear disc setup and a pair of comstars with pitiful tires?HAHA

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

 That rear drive does look close, look to see if it lines with the other,has to be straight I've never notice how close they wee,just checked I've got finger thickness between the gear and closet part(widest) of swing arm,if that helps any,I can put a tape on it after work or real early,spool just add another hole ,must be a Dodge.sure it's not a split rimm .l.o.l..Piute

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Comstars are getting very popular. A lot of guys are looking, for them. I am thinking about Comstars on the Bob-a-matic. I have a set off an 81 C model. 19, and 16 inch.

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Hey did your wheel come with the spacer that goes on the left side?

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

second look at yo pic yo fine ther good buddy ...out..

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Thx Piute.Later big man

Tools,there is a spacer on the rear axle on same side as brakes and another on the chain side.Spacer on chain side slides inside the hub.Spacer on brake side sits all the way out.Another spacer inside brakes also.Confused yet?I am!

No spacers on front at all

Forgot to see if front axle fit or not.Hmmmm?

Re: need advice/info on wheel/brake swap

Sorry, I meant the front wheel.