'81 CB750C "Rock-It"

123456 ... 15

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Hoko
Gratz for 3k
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Hoosier Daddy
Thanks Piute, I needed that.
2 1/2 hours out in the shop last night holding the rear wheel up to the buffer and using the die grinder on the spokes until my arms felt like rubber. Now this morning almost too sore to type. Remebering Burts dedication is true motivation. Already went out and turned on the lights to give it a once over inspection... not too shabby but still needs a lot more work.

And yes, 3,000 posts is quite a milestone... congrats!
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Hoko wrote
Gratz for 3k
                What "O" just noticed
                                     talk to much

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

masiste
 That sounds like an awesome enterprise. Very dilligent yet rewarding job.

 Want to see the results. I would like to get an extra set of wheels for swapping every now and then.  Also looking for an extra set of body parts ( tank, side covers and tail.) to paint a different color.  I like to ride my bike as it is and when I feel like it, swap in colored parts and wheels and ride a different yetr the same bike around, cool !

  I want to score a set of straight Comstars ( is that what those are called, cause mine are the "Reversed" version.) and get them polished. Then I would have my beloved black powder coated set and my cool polished version as well.

  Diversity is fun.

  Off course I would need a "POoishing 101 Course".

  Nice job
750DOHC

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Hoosier Daddy
 Thanks for the interest jamiesix. I have so often thought of a spare set of tins to totaly change the look of a bike, the same as you. Would be cool for sure. Maybe a set of K spoked wheels... hmmm.

The '78-79 are typically called Comstars while the 80- on like mine a Reversed Comstars. But most just call them both Comstars.

Since you asked... here is the "in process" pic. Poor light, needs more work and cell phone pics but there ya go.
If you have polishing questions ask away. Patience is the best advise I can give...

81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Piute
Dang looking goooooD.....
....................missed a spot......

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

You're a brave soul Hoosier. That wheel looks great so far. Wouldn't it be nice to have a big vibratory polisher?

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

masiste
  Nice work. Looks awesome so far. And it can only get better.

  I will practice on my car wheels.Have a set of Hayashi wheels that need polishing. I will need the 101 Polishing ( meant Polishing in my previous post, not POoshing, typo error.) tips.

  So after polishing parts, a coat of wax is good.  That is wax as in car wax. right?

  Do not be surprised if people start asking you about your wheels once polished. What kind of wheels are those?  People all over your bike for sure !
750DOHC

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

      Lets see After I painted mine 2 tone mind ya,Nice N pardy ,Put on tire,fender,saddle bags,trailer hitch

                         True story theres a real nice wheel in there
                                        someweres

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Hoosier Daddy
jaimesix wrote
  So after polishing parts, a coat of wax is good.  That is wax as in car wax. right?
Yep, car wax. I use the old fashioned harder canuba stuff that is more like a candle rether than the new technology liquids. "Wax on, wax off."

Piute, that is some serious accessories on your bike, looks great!
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

masiste
  Cool. Thx for the tips.

  How is the body of the bike going along ?
750DOHC

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Piute
<

 "Wax on, wax off."

    Was 24 deg.this morn. 6am heading to work,
  COVER ALL AREA's OF SKIN IS A MUST,thin line below top of helmet and scarf ,got numb fast,about a hr later (at work)hurt like a M@%@!$& did I say that

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Lucky 1
Do not use a grinding wheel on these frames!
Only use a #100 grit flap wheel or a worn out 60 grit flap wheel.
The frame is only 1/16 thickness and just touching a grinding wheel to the frame surface can easily remove 1/3 of the wall thickness in a fraction of a second.

Never sand or grind welds!
They are structural welds.

The profile of the weld bead is part of the structural strength.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Hoosier Daddy
True statement Lucky 1
I cleaned up the weld "splatter" only, not grinding the weld bead.... On those and the rusty areas I used a 2" Roloc sanding disc in my "die-grinder" tool and used a sanding roll in the tight spots. Then finished up wirth 3M scotch-brite discs... sorry for the confusion, You can see on the floor it in this pic from my first post.

81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Johnnylevi
Hey Hoosier, anything new goin on with your build?
1981 SS with Kerker 4-1 exhaust and extremely attractive rider.

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Hoosier Daddy
Sand... sand...sand....polish...polish...polish
I was under the weather all weekend, starting to feel back to normal yesterday. Heading out to the shop tonight.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

Hoosier Daddy
 I'm calling the rear wheel done... I wound up polishing only the outter vertical surfaces when mounted. the "spokes" and surrounding rim of the wheel. Cleaned all the rest of it and then last night hit it with the Mothers aluminum polish.

Next, back to the front. After today I am off work for the holidays until Monday. Supposed to be warm so I'd like to finish the front wheel then get the tires mounted.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: '81 CB750C "Rock-It"

lostson
Hot Damn those look great!

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:22 AM, Hoosier Daddy [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I'm calling the rear wheel done... I wound up polishing only the outter vertical surfaces when mounted. the "spokes" and surrounding rim of the wheel. Cleaned all the rest of it and then last night hit it with the Mothers aluminum polish.

Next, back to the front. After today I am off work for the holidays until Monday. Supposed to be warm so I'd like to finish the front wheel then get the tires mounted.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfife MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/81-CB750C-Rock-It-tp4031001p4032466.html
To unsubscribe from '81 CB750C "Rock-It", click here.
NAML

--
Mister Jones

123456 ... 15