Do you have a favorite tool?

Half-Caf
So, may seem like a dumb question to some, but I am curious -Do you guys have a favorite tool? If so, what and why?
Btw, I thought of this as I was using my dremel to wire brush some little crevices on my swingarm. I swear that thing has a million+ uses!
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

I was just using my Dremel to gap piston rings. Worked great. But it is far from being my favorite TOOL

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

I have a Ryobi moto-tool (knock-off of a Dremel). which I use more often then I would ever have imagined.  My favorite, most often used, attachment, is the cut-off wheel.  I use them very frequently, not only for cutting, but also for shaping and 'grinding'.  The real grinding attachments seem to take forever to remove metal, but the cut-off wheels whisk away material lickety-split, Baby!  It is now 15+ years old, and it has seen more metal dust covering it, than I care to think about -- still works flawlessly.  When it breaks, I will run out that same day, and get a replacement.  Probably the single most used tool in my set.  Cheers!

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
My pocket knife. I would be lost without it.
Making Laps, Twisting the Throttle and Cruzz control, it just don't get any better!

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Tough question to answer. I get emotionally attached to my tools.Seriously. Even so to the point that when why 15 year old DeWalt grinder died a couple months ago I got a little choked up. Sadly,I admit this is true. I have so many tools that I enjoy on an almost daily basis.Specifically my TIG and my plasma cutter.I wouldn't know what to do with out them. But if I had to pick a favorite tool of all time it is this wrench my Grandpa made for me. I was working on my '72 C20 getting it ready to go since I just had gotten old enough to drive.Grandpa was showing me how to set the points,ignition timing and the dwell.Then he showed me all the ends and outs of the illustrious Rochester Quadrajet. But I didn't own a distributor wrench. So he made one for me. In the process of heating this wrench til pliable he taught me how to use a oxy-acetylene torch. How to set the pressures,how to adjust the flame depending on what was needed to be done,what part of the flame is the hottest.... After all that and we bent the wrench he showed me how to re-harden the wrench after heating the temper out of it.In to the oil bath she went. I learned more in that single Saturday afternoon than any other day of my life to date. I have been learning everyday since,but the amount of knowledge taught to me that day is the most I ever received at one time. I have been blessed with gifts of very expensive tools throughout the years,and even spent way too much of my own hard earned money on things i "needed",but this crooked little 9/16 Craftsman wrench is not only my favorite tool,but by far ,one of my most prized personal possessions. There is no price that could buy this wrench. It reminds me of one of the greatest days of my life.

Thank you for starting this thread Half-Caf.Thinking back on that day just made my day today.

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

                                     Been packing 1 of these for years
.
        My Lil Buddy comes in handy to much at times cause people know I carry it always
      They ask "hey got that Lil screw drver",
        It's small enough to use as a phillup ,main use cleaning my finger nails,
       ever see a person stabed by a screw driver,did cross my mind when lots younger

                                                                                       were's my 10mm

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

shultz_1978
Well I love all my tools and would not part with any. But I have say this little Ryobi is my favorite tool in the garage. I might be weird but I like shiny things. If it is supposed to shine I want it to shine. Some times even if they are not. I think it is cool to take something that looks beat and weathered and make it shine. Amazing what you can do with this little  $45 grinder and $10 wheels. Almost as nice as riding.
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Two thumbs up for shiny things!!!

                                                                       y'all knew i couldn't pass that up

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Rusty Spokes
I got my dremel in nov and it just burned out last month, now it's a Harbor Frieght angle grinder, $20

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Charlie1717
Currently I'm loving my Bosch Pocket Driver http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS20-2A-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B000PI5EBW/ref=dp_cp_ob_hi_title_1
I got it for free because it was "broken" Turns out it was the little plastic directional piece snapped in the middle which locked the trigger. Got the new plastic piece for a dollar. Good as new!

So I built this! It is the hatch to my Festiva. Took out the rear seat and made it like an Suv trunk
____________________________________
1972 Honda CB750Four
when I'm night riding the bike I'm driving my...
1992 Ford Festiva BP 1.8l Swap

Bargersville, IN

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Half-Caf
That festiva's packin some heat! A friend of mine painted racing stripes on his festiva back in high school
There's a YouTube video of me learning to drive stick on it that has around 200,000 views!
What specifically did you use that little rotary for with the hatch?
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Charlie1717
Underneath the carpet are 2x4's  with aluminum cross bars to help support the floor. On the other side of the 'wall' behind the sub and storage container (which is screwed down of course) I used my dremel and put in two 6.5" speakers, I mounted a 1,500 watt power inverter, then two amps (1 for sub, 1 for speakers).

It makes everything so much faster using a power drill!

That pic is actually older. I have a different sub box because that one was free and sounded pretty terrible I'm not really a bass guy I just love music and I love hearing all the sounds. Plus the occasional thumping ;)

Here is a pic of my festy with the new powder coated stealies and beauty rings ;)

Post up a link to that video!
____________________________________
1972 Honda CB750Four
when I'm night riding the bike I'm driving my...
1992 Ford Festiva BP 1.8l Swap

Bargersville, IN

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Half-Caf wrote
That festiva's packin some heat! A friend of mine painted racing stripes on his festiva back in high school
There's a YouTube video of me learning to drive stick on it that has around 200,000 views!
What specifically did you use that little rotary for with the hatch?
Ahem...link,please?

Somebody has been busy in the back of that Festiva!...dont read too much in to that. That looks nice Charlie.Good work man!

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Half-Caf
shinyribs wrote
Ahem...link,please?
Ok, ok... but I must warn you that its probably the crappiest video you will see all day! Despite all the typo's , no sound, and being excruciatingly long, it is somehow popular

It's probably because I'm in it  Or maybe because the Festiva has racing stripes
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Half-Caf
Half-Caf wrote
What specifically did you use that little rotary for with the hatch?
Btw, I was on my phone when I called it a rotary
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

It wasnt too long! It was too short! Thanks for posting that link,and I'm sorry,but that was a good laugh! You seemed to do much better in the truck, btw.

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Charlie1717
haha I was wondering why you said rotary but figured it was just a mistake!

I'm quite surprised how many views that video has! It was funny to me but how did 200,000 people even find it! Crazy world we live in!

OH and not to rub it in but my 16 year old brother drove my festiva and didn't kill it once. Oh and it was his first time driving.... any car.. ever.   haha but good video
____________________________________

Bargersville, IN

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Half-Caf
Charlie1717 wrote
OH and not to rub it in but my 16 year old brother drove my festiva and didn't kill it once. Oh and it was his first time driving.... any car.. ever.   haha but good video
I will chalk it up to you being a better teacher  I was never even told that you could gradually release the clutch. In retrospect, that explains that video a lot.
Btw, in case any of you wondered, I now drive stick all the time
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

Half-Caf
Back to the whole favorite tools thing... I don't currently have one, but I think I would LOVE having a bench grinder. There have been countless times where I've wished I had an efficient way to buff, sharpen, and (of course) grind something.

I will soon be converting my bedroom into a workshop and I have quite a few things I want to incorporate -this will definitely be at the top of the list!
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Do you have a favorite tool?

A bench grinder is a wonderful tool. Like you said it is great for buffing and polishing but once you learn how to sharpen drill bits on them it will save you alot of money in bits alone. I have some bits that I have snapped,broken and resharpened so many times they are just lil nubs at this point. A wire wheel is also a great piece for a bench grinder. It hurts when the little wires fly out and stick in your arms,but they clean stuff up the nastiest parts so fast. I think I saw a bench grinder  on sale at Northern for $40 the other day.
12