Generator Rotor Removal

RodneyCB750K1979
I first tried removing the generator rotor from the crankshaft using a gear puller.  No good.  I checked various forums and discovered the rear axle bolt fits the rotor hole (18mm - 1.5mm pitch right handed). I inserted two flat washers inside the rotor opening against the end of the crankshaft because the axle bolt end is tapered. I tightened the bolt to about 40 ft-lbs and the rotor did not release. The flat washers were concave from the force of the axle bolt. I applied some penetrating oil and greased the bolt end and threads well.  After tightening the bolt, I used the wheel spacers on the axle bolt as an impact. I quit after noticing the long bolt was no longer inline with the crank centerline.  I eventually shut the job down and ordered a rotor removal tool - which is only a bolt with a squared-off end.  Please share any experiences or helpful suggestions on removing the generator rotor from the crankshaft.

Attempting to remove rotor with rear axle bolt and oil filter wrench

Flat washers placed inside rotor hole against crankshaft

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

Just snug up the bolt, then give it a smack with a hammer. It should pop right off. However sometimes you might need to snug up the bolt some more, and give it another smack, or a whack.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

RodneyCB750K1979
Here are some sketches of how the removal tool works.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

RodneyCB750K1979 wrote
Here are some sketches of how the removal tool works.

That's just how it is inserted. You still need to smack it with a hammer. If you just try to pull the rotor by tightening the removal tool, you will just strip the threads.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

I also recommend a bit of penetrating oil (PB Blaster is my favorite) to get the rotor off.  Sometimes a bit of rust gets between the rotor and the crankshaft, and it's amazing how well that sticks things together.

+1 on the hammer rap.  Just don't hit the rotor itself.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

Ditto Tools. The threading in of the tool pushes the rotor off the crank,but the whack of the hammer is what helps break the bond of the two parts. Mine was stuck (SOHC,but same principle) and I didn't have any luck at first. I ran out of time and had to leave it for the night,but I left the tool tightened as far as I could without damaging anything while I was gone. When I came in the next day it was sitting there waiting for me...loose

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

RodneyCB750K1979
It worked!  I greased the bolt threads, screwed it in, torqued to 50 ft lbs, wacked the bolt head a few times, torqued again, wacked again.  I connected my wrench to torque again and the rotor spun.  Voila.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

RodneyCB750K1979
You must have done it in your sleep walk :-)   Amazing what penetrating oil and time will do.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

RodneyCB750K1979
Post mortum comment: After all the whacking on the tool end, the edges knurled over a little preventing installation of a socket driver.  I had to file the edges back a little.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

Pilotbob
What if I used the wrong puller. The claw kind. The bolt threaded into the camshaft and pulled out a bunch of the threads. Am I done for...?

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

Do you mean "crankshaft"? Get a tap and clean the threads, and then try the bolt. The bolt does not really have a lot of stress on it, the taper on the end of the crank is what really holds the rotor in place.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

Pilotbob
Yes, crankshaft, thank you for the help. That is my first course of action.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

Mg2020
On my bike the removal tool hole is completely stripped so if anyone knows of a way I can get that thing off it would be very helpful, I smacked the bolt with a hammer and used penetrating oil all that did was help strip the hole out.

Re: Generator Rotor Removal

Can you weld a nut onto the rotor? Then you could put a bolt into the nut and use it as a puller.