Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

dayle
hi i have a 79 honda 10 anniversary  69 79  i got new it has 12000 mi. i was just looking 2 see if there was any more around

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

louis666
hi nice bike i have one too
tim

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

tim
Hey Lois, Your bike looks exactly tke same as mine ecept for the mirrors and seat. Hope you enjoy your bike. Tim

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

california kid
What did you pay fo rthe bike (if you don't mind me asking) and where did you find it?  I'm in the market.

Thanks.

Kid.

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

sgtslag
Kid, what are you in the market for?  I have a standard '79 K for sale (not an anniversary edition).  My bike is in SE Minnesota, though.  Cheers!

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

If Sarg has it. Then it's a good one.

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

clyde the ape
So are you guys saying I shouldn't turn my newly aquired 1979 cb750LTD into a drag bike, cafe racer, or chopper??

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

You can do whatever you want to your bike.  Some believe the CB750L is a collectible bike, and should be left as is for its resale value.  The main differences between the L and the other editions is the tank and side covers, the seat, the wheels, the exhaust (4 into 4) and a few other bits and pieces. If you're not interested in resale, by all means, turn it into the bike of your dreams.

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

clyde the ape
I will build my dream bike. But, if this is some collector item, I would rather chop up a run of the mill bike.

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

california kid
Can you send me some pictures and a description if I provide you some information?

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

jshmood
Hey I know this post is old but I'm in a similar situation.
My father-in-law is giving me his honda cb750 supersport.
I think it's a 1979 not 100% though.

It has sat in his garage for maybe 10-15 years.
Any advice?

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

Yea. Ride it like, you stole it.

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

Im cold hearted when it comes to stock bikes.If it a TRULY collectible,like 1 of 30 built,then no.Dont cut it.Otherwise,chop the snot out of it until you are happy with it and let the next poor soul worry about what you did.Hey,if people like me never cut up originals,originals would be devalued because of it!LOL

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

Yea. Ride it like, you stole it.

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

I assume you are asking what to do to get it running?

1)  Check the battery, top it off with distilled water, charge it fully, replace it if necessary -- if it hasn't been cared for, it will be shot, so plan on replacing it, period.

2)  Change all of the fluids, but some will require some special care...

    A)  Review the manual procedure for changing fork fluid.  Add a couple of ounces of SeaFoam to the old fork fluid, with the front end on a jackstand to support the bike, so you can manually lift the forks up/down, repeatedly (top caps off), to mix/flush/circulate the SeaFoam throughout the fork assemblies -- this will dissolve varnish deposits within the forks.  Then drain the old, and install new Dexron III/IV/V ATF fluid, as per the book (the newer versions are completely compatible with the old III formula).

     B)  Check the color of the engine oil to see how dark it is; add the correct amount of SeaFoam to the crankcase, and run it, on the centerstand, for five minutes, idling, shifting through all five gears, to dissolve crud in the engine, and the transmission.  Drain the old oil (will likely be coal black by now...), change the filter, and put in fresh oil.

     C)  Add the correct amount of SeaFoam to the gas tank, run it for five minutes to circulate it through the fuel system, and carbs (this can be done concurrently with the oil flush; this step assumes the bike will run...); let it sit overnight to dissolve varnish deposits, then run it to empty the gas tank as soon as possible -- run it at least 120 miles (full tank to start with), to burn off as much as possible, before re-filling it with fresh gas.  You may want to treat the second tankful, as well, just to be sure you get as much varnish out of the system, as possible -- put a new fuel filter in, or clean the OEM screen by soaking it in pure SeaFoam overnight, then dump that used SeaFoam in the gas tank -- it will burn just fine, the varnish will be liquified, so no issues. (Check for rust...  If there is no fuel filter, add an in-line filter to prevent rust/crud from reaching the jets in the carbs.)

     D)  Flush the brakes with fresh brake fluid only, making sure it works properly, and that the pistons do not stick.

3)  Clean the bike; check the tires, replace them if they are more than 3-4 years old (rubber decays over time, dry-rot, etc. -- if they're old, they are NOT safe to ride on no matter how good they look...); look for loose nuts/bolts; lube the control cables (spray cable lube is easier than motor oil, as recommended in the book), and the gauge cables (same); lube the swing arm (grease gun); check/replace the air filter, as necessary.

4)  Adjust the tension on the Cam Chain (see the book:  if it is like the DOHC K, it is loosening and tightening a couple of external bolts, in proper sequence, while the bike is idling, at operating temperature).

5)  The carbs will most likely need to be tuned and balanced.

6)  Enjoy the ride!!!

Cheers!

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

jshmood
Thanks so much!
This is really helpful!

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

Dave Janik
I have a 1979 honda 10th anniv.ltd edition that  i purchased new in 79. as i am now 64 years young[ha-ha] its  sadly time to think about selling it.although i really HATE to! it is in excellent condition,23,000 mi. this bike has NEVER seen rain and always garaged. it has no rust and has 2nd set of original factory 4 into 4 exhaust. I have added a MEYER DAYLONGER custom leather seat and a sliding [adj.] padded backrest of the same 2-tone color and stitching pattern as the seat [both in like new condition] also a hayden oil cooler w/braided lines,a front fork brace ,VDO head temp. and oil temp.gages.2in bar backs,crash bars, highway pegs ,short mirrors,metzler tires [about 2 yrs old but like new] aftermarket shocks, k&n filter,luggage rack with a hard shell clam type luggage bag,padded hand grips ,and locking type cruse control. this bike needs nothing. I have used  synthetic oil in bike since 2nd oil change [SYNERGEN and AMSIOL] at no more than 600 mi intervals.bike is put away waxed, air clnr,battery seat and back rest removed, engine covered,gas tank has stable added to fuel and then drained before starting in spring.float bowls drained exhaust and air cleaner openings pluged,1 oz. of oil squirted in each cyl.for winter storage .bike is also entirely covered with a CLOTH blanket and stored with weight OFF the front and rear wheels. do yourself a favor,this bike has to be seen to be fully appreciated.I am in the ball park to be asking $ 3000 for it as i have seen others in the range of $3400 to$4600 and they cant even come close to the quality of this bike.[and thats with no options1] the seat alone is worth appx .$500 easy. check the meyer website.  my phone,1-413-8623676

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

Paul Dunne
Hi,
I have aquired a 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition,      Living in Dublin, Ireland.
I know it's a long shot but I am looking for original set of front indicators with lens.
The bike is almost 100% Original & complete, except for the Indicators, I am having the usual trouble with starting and keeping it running most days, any one with ideas on the starting issues would be welcomed....... other that that I would say I happy to own one of these bikes, great t ride and very well balanced when it runs.
email paulsdunne@yahoo.co.uk
Hope to hear from someone soon with info or news on parts.
Many Thanks in Advance
Paul

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

rrgunslinger
Paul, Congrats on the 79.  Not sure why you are having problems with starting and running.  What does it do?  backfire, not idle?  These bikes will start very easy and run if tuned right.  I kick start mine.  Pull chock up one kick and vroom.  I have a 73.  Does the 79 have points.?
American by birth. Cowboy by choice! Vero Beach, FL http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/grandpaslinger/HD%20Road%20Glide/IMAG0046.jpg

Re: Got new(to me) 1979 Honda cb750k 10th anniversary edition

The 79 would have the electronic ignition, but I would bet his pilot jets are plugged up.