New battery dead, would love some help.

Erick
I recently picked up a 1976 cb750 super sport and the previous owner said he had replaced the battery as of last year.  I rode the bike for about five days without problem, then the battery started getting weak when I tried to use the starter. I began to kickstart the bike, bit after a day of this it was no longer working. I went and purchased a brand new battery, assuming it was just the old one giving me the trouble.  Similar events transpired, the battery was fine and strong for a week, then the starter sounded a bit weak.  I attempted to drive the bike for a half hour straight at this point to see it the alternator would recharge the battery, needless to say it didn't.  I brought the battery back to the store and it registered 11.17 on their volt meter.  I do have a year warranty on it, so I'll assume they'll replace it if it won't take a charge.  I'd like to figure out the problem ASAP as this is the prime riding season here in Minnesota.  Any and all help would be immensely appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any other helpful information.

Re: New battery dead, would love some help.

sgtslag
Download the Factory Service Manual (FSM; PDF file) off of the front page.  You need to look for the alternator/charging system troubleshooting section.  There are a few possibilities: the alternator is not working (bad brushes, rotor, wiring, etc. -- manual will tell you how to troubleshoot it to the failing part); the rectifier/regulator is not working (manual will tell you how to test it);, or you have a wiring problem somewhere between the alternator, rectifier/regulator, and the battery (manual will show you how to narrow down the location of the problem).  Cheers!
wes

Re: New battery dead, would love some help.

wes
slag is right about the manual! im figurin out my chargin system now. tryin to anyway.
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks