Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
Look when originally bought (although it did not run)...

again after a bit of restoration and i painted it...

and at current state (although not finished)

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

mikey440
 Good job man, I like it!!

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

The checkerboard was neat.
Since you are still building, an option for the signal lights would be wrap around led lights.
You can wrap them around the forks and on the rear, contour them to the hump.
Just a thought.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
thanks, i liked the Checkers too, but i wrecked last summer (wasn't bad, about 20mph) which pretty much messed up that paint on the front fender and tank, i repainted it and repaired the tank but it never looked the same. So this winter i stripped it all and went with something else.

the wrap around LED is an awesome idea, especially since i had never heard of them, but if your talking about these (which is all i've found yet) http://www.customdynamics.com/wrap_around_LED_fork_clamps.htm that is a bit pricey for some fancy turn signals, if there isn't a cheaper alternative then that might happen one day, but it won't be anytime soon.

Since you mentioned running them with the contour of the hump though it leaves me to think maybe you meant something else, since these don't seem to have any flexibility in them, I'd love to see what you might mean. (hopefully it's cheaper, lol).

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
never mind, you more than likely meant something more like this http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?prodid=520248&showprevnext=1 which is way more affordable. Thanks for the idea, because this will probably be the approach i take, i think that would look cool on there.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

That is exactly what I was referring to. Most people like to make clean cafe style bikes and that would get rid of the lights that stick out. Saw it once and it was actually pretty cool.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

dave Esch
I, too have been giving the flexible led's consideration. Not big on them, but last season I got pulled over at night coming home from bike night. The cop stated my bike was too dark from the right rear. The tail light is relocated onto the left side of the wheel and the mounting bracket is actually held by the rear axle bolt. So the light is pretty low. My bike is legal as is, however I just don't need the hassle or the potential pain from having a bike some drunk won't see.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
I have actually bought these now, they will be here Wednesday and I can't wait to install em, and see how they change the look, thanks again re-run for showing me these.

But yeah I totally agree, anyone who rides anything on two wheels needs all the help they can get to be noticed by other drivers, and the freedom from being hassled by the cops would be nice too. These will actually bring me a bit of peace of mind as well, my 2" round taillight hadn't been wired to be a running light yet (and I wasn't positive if I needed one) so I got a strip of red LED to do that on the back with the amber strips for signals.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

TomK
Hi,
 I purchased what I think is a 1982 Honda CB750F engine on a Honda Odyssey frame. I am not sure if they wired it correctly or if in fact it is a 1982 engine. I see that your engine was not running. How did you get it working?

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
Hey Tom,
 My bike wasn't running mainly due to poor maintenance by the PO, along with a shot charging system.

Both the battery and rectifier were fried (i imagine the battery had lost juice after repeated charges due to Rec. being out or over time) along with that i replaced the plugs and slapped some new plug wires and caps on. I also rebuilt my carbs from ground up aside from needles, which looked fine; at one time (due to my ignorance of CV carbs.) i had no power while in gear but later found it was because i had swapped the air box for K&N pods, so i switched back and fixed that. Lucky for me i had good compression (determined by good ol' thumb test) so i didn't have to do much further than the above.

Basically some mad cleaning and TLC revived her, but if your working on that engine with stock coils (or something close) be weary of the temperature, don't be fooled and let it make you think its buggered up just because its cold.

Wiring is always a nightmare it seems, but if your patient just do some continuity point to point checks and that should let you know if you have any shorts. As far as determining what engine it for sure is, I'm sure the VIN has some relation to that, and there's probably someone out there with a list of model #'s for each year; that's where i'd start.

Best of luck on your build.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
This post was updated on .
Updated.

Complete for this year, the only thing left i may do is modify the seat to be able to have a passenger (which is why i left the foot pegs).

i've already started my christmas list for winter; dyna coils, performance shocks, and maybe a 4:1 exhaust (this is a maybe because my stock ones are in such great shape it would be a shame to part ways with them).

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
also, thanks to re-run for showing me the flexible LED lights and dave for directing me to the headlight visor.

Re-run,
seeing as how you run the forum and suggested those lights, i thought a good idea for a sticky post would be a sort of product review page. I loved the lights, but found a lot out after buying them i wish i would of known ahead of time (for instance i would probably just hit radio shack and make my own this time).

a page like this might draw some discrepancies but that's no different than any review on the manufacturer's site, just here they would be people we can trust who have actually taken the time to install and modify the parts for particular use.

just a thought, thanks again.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

pat english
hey,dont mean to hijack the thread,but how did you replace the plug wires?cuz i have a 74 cb 750 and it looks like the wires are built into the coils.does anyone make aftermarket coils and ignition systems for these bikes?(sorry for the ignorance,im new to the jappanese stuff)
                                                                             thanks,
                                                                                       pat

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
actually you are correct, i should of said "i went to replace but just clipped the wires", they are pretty much rock steady in the stock coils, i ended up clipping about a quarter inch off the ends and put new caps on. sorry for the confusion.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

pat english
tangent88 wrote

oh i see.well at least youre getting a good conection now.kinda sucks you cant put some super cool clear vintage plug wires on these bikes.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
This post was updated on .
The beast has changed a bit a few times since i posted the last photos, and i've had quite a bit of mechanical issues im working through, but i figure i would pop a newer pic up here.

Paint has changed a bit, and i made it a two-seater, couldn't keep turning down pretty girls who wanted to go for a ride, call me old fashion. lol

anyways...

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

free2ride
nicer looking, imo . . . the seat works [and I hope it does for you  ]

amazing what we guys will do for a girl.

plate now on the rear?
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

DesignBuild
thanks, i thought so too. And the seat has worked well so far, it was a real bummer having to turn down request because i could only seat one.

my license plate albeit temporary, is still side mounted; the location and angle conveniently sit right behind the leg, although most bump it getting on or off.

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

wvhardtail
Good job on the paint. Looks good!

Re: Progression of my 82 cb750F

mitchberry
i always hate those people who look at someone's work and start nit picking it... especially when you spend months or years of your life working on it to make it your own..

BUT... one thing i see that you may not have thought about...

Drop that front fender about 1.5" and it'll look pretty sick....   just drill new holes basically...  looks good without that.. but IMHO would look great with it dropped.

-Your servant is your master-
12