What's the difference?

Maz

What's the difference?

Maz
After a brief discussion with one of my American brothers on this Forum, I thought it would be interesting to know how we differ, as people. How do Americans / Canadians / Brits etc perceive each other? Do you have personal experience of our different cultures that makes you laugh? Strange words/phrases/slang etc that we all take for granted until someone from a different culture picks up on it? How much of what we see on TV colours (colors?) our attitudes towards each other? Are us brits really as reserved as you think we are?
I'd like to keep it light-hearted and not turn into an international slanging match

Any suggestions greatly received!

Cheerio for now.

Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: What's the difference?

18Bravo
Most of my experience from Brits is through the military. While in Berlin, if I wanted to see a good fight I could always go downtown to the Irish Pub, which was in the British Sector. There would almost inevitably be a scuffle every night, usually between dudes from units with words like "Hussars" and "Dragoons" I think.
I knew a few Brits in Afghanistan as well. I think we drank more with them than the Germans. So I could sum my experience as they are dudes who love a good fight and like to tie one on.
Side note: One night in Berlin driving a girlfriend home (different bike - I had traded up to a VF1100C) a dude cut me off and then made a right hand turn. I followed him, got in front of him, and then slowed down until he had to stop. As I approached he car, he made the mistake of trying to get out of his car. I starting beating him with the car door, and just as I got my hands around hid throat the British Military Police Rolled up. "Everything okay, mate?" asked one of them. I said "Yeah, we're cool." He said something like, "Well, righty-oh then," and drove off.  Apparently fighting in the British Army is to be expected to a degree.
The really strange thing is that the dude was an American officer. The next day I heard he was looking for me. (Between my girlfriend shouting "Rob, stop!" and the somewhat unmistakable look of my bike he had little problem there. I saw him approaching our barracks so I went out to head him off.  He actually apologized to me for cutting me off, and then thanked me for not turning him in for being drunk.
Those MP's probably saved both of our careers by driving off when they did.
I put the "G" in Jihad.

Re: What's the difference?

Truck
I got to spend the night in London once while deploying to Norway. Great town, got to meet a bunch of royal Marines and went drinking with them. I watch a lot of BBC America and find a lot of British slang funny (and when I want to give someone the bird but want to be discreet about it I give them the British reverse peace sign ).
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: What's the difference?

Oh this could be fun!
I have very little experience with other countries really, mainly online and that isn't the best way to judge.

Brits that I have gotten to know, usually seem snobbish at first. Some are, but it is usually just an odd sense of humor most of the time.

Canadians, seem a good bunch. Nothing really odd, maybe speech but I don't bring that up as it usually turns back to the southern accent in the US. French-Canadians, I don't know.

Kiwis are decent, too. I am not sure I have ever seen one get pissed.

Australians, now they like to rag on people, usually in good fun. Lots of jack-ass in 1 package, but they usually take as good as they give.

Honestly, I usually deal better with other nationalities besides American. You just never seem to know what you are going to get with Americans. We must be a really bi-polar nation!
Maz

Re: What's the difference?

Maz
My aunt was a GI bride and went to live in Illinois. I first met her when I was very young, when she came back to the UK to visit family. By this time, she had gained a very strong American accent and I can remember sitting listening to her, wondering what the words Hood (car bonnet in the UK) and Faucet meant. I have never been to the US and my experiences are mainly online-based or from the amount of US TV shows that we have over here! My daughter is still watching repeats (sorry, Re-runs!) of Friends. I love watching American Pickers, not just for the subject material but also to hear the many different accents as they pick different parts of the US. They showed one episode where they came to the UK - One of the guys they met came from Norfolk, on our East coast and even I couldn't understand him! Another old guy, from Surrey, was so well-spoken and eccentric that I felt embarrassed thinking that he might be portrayed as a typical Brit!
I've noticed lately a few of the more 'English' words / phrases appearing in American TV shows too..

A few years ago, I had dealings with a Danish company and had to spend some time out there. Most of the Danes spoke better English than me! They are an extremely friendly and welcoming race, too.

Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: What's the difference?

All I know is villains and babes are way cooler with British accents.

Re: What's the difference?

Truck
TOOLS1 wrote
All I know is villains and babes are way cooler with British accents.
TOOLS
My friends have banned me from ever going to Ireland due to my love of accents and gingers. They are convinced I'd come back married. I keep telling then that wouldn't happen since more than likely I just wouldn't come back!
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: What's the difference?

rich
When I was about 10 or eleven I went to visit my grandmother in Cambridge, England for the summer. We were living in Spain at the time. My father was in the USAF. Anyway, one day she sent me to the market to pick up a few things, including some "biscuits".

I came back with dog treats! Apparently, biscuits meant cookies. She had one heck of a laugh over that.

Another time during that same summer, I was out riding her bicycle and some lads stopped me to chat. The were about my age, they said they were going to "duff me in".  Apparently, that meant they wanted to beat the hell out of my and stab me with a screwdriver.  They ended up not doing that thank goodness but that that was the last time I went out on my own while I was there.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US
Maz

Re: What's the difference?

Maz
Rich, I haven't heard the term "duff someone in" for years!! You just transported me back to my schooldays!
The last time someone threatened to beat me up, they said they were going to "Rip my head off and sh*t down the hole it left"!!

Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: What's the difference?

Yeah, I love me some gingers. Ireland mi9ght be too rainy for me, but it might be worth it!

Re: What's the difference?

rich
Maz wrote
Rich, I haven't heard the term "duff someone in" for years!! You just transported me back to my schooldays!
The last time someone threatened to beat me up, they said they were going to "Rip my head off and sh*t down the hole it left"!!

Maz
LOL. I wasn't sure I got the term correct, as it was more than 45 years ago.  But I guess it just one of those experiences you don't forget.

I still remember biscuits versus cookies every time I give my dogs a treat.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: What's the difference?

TOOLS1 wrote
All I know is villains and babes are way cooler with British accents.
TOOLS
I can't believe you didn't mention Rose!

I've gotten to know a few Brits from the bike forums, and a few Canadians,too. Best I can tell, we're all pretty much the same. There's crazy people all over the world. Makes it fun.

Re: What's the difference?

free2ride
Heck, you could do a thread just on the differences in Canada! from bunny hugs to fire up a scoff , drinking a Vico or a two-four . . . good luck keeping up with us!

 now take off, eh, you hoser!
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)
Maz

Re: What's the difference?

Maz
Bloody 'ell! You're right. I ain't got a Scooby what you mean. I'll just nip up the apples and ask the trouble 'n' strife if she can suss it.

Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: What's the difference?

One thing is for sure: rednecks and hotrodders are worldwide

Re: What's the difference?

Did you notice the name on that tractor that was kicking butt? Could it have been FORD?

Re: What's the difference?

easyrider12
I'm a newfie (newfoundland Canada) just traveled home 800kms on my goldwing, and arrived home to american flags flying around town.  My hometown was an american air force base at one time and this was a kind- of come home year for those who worked here years  ago.  Many large planes still land here in this little town for anything from fuel to repairs, to maybe the view......
most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handelbars to the saddle.
Maz

Re: What's the difference?

Maz
Following on from this, I was intrigued to find out that some of our UK TV shows are appreciated in the US. The one that was highlighted was 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Basically a story of elderly men from Yorkshire and the fact that they are still young kids at heart. But what interests me more is the fact that the Yorkshire Dialect uses a lot of slang that even a Londoner like me has to think twice about, so how do you guys in the States get along with different British accents/dialects? Is it just a case that we all sound the same to you?

Maz
'76 CB500T
'75 GL1000 'Wing
'79 CB750L
'90 FJ1200
'93 GS500E

In a little place called Bexley, Kent, UK (Just south of London!)

Re: What's the difference?

Well, I wouldn't say you all sound the same. If a person listens closely, differences can be picked up. Inflections and such. The majority of people in the US wouldn't pick up regional slang since we wouldn't know the differences from derbyshire to yorkshire and all the other shires.

Re: What's the difference?

Toolbabe and I took in a boy from Honduras years ago. As we were trying to communicate through the language barrier he was surprised to learn that the English language was different between English speaking countries. However it was just as surprising for us to learn that Spanish is spoken differently between Spanish speaking countries. Being in construction I worked with several Spanish speaking people. Although I do not understand a lot of Spanish, I was able to detect differences in their speech, and could sometimes tell which country they were from by these differences in speech. I guess some countries are separated by a common language. Now protect the environment, no tipping, bin it.