choosing an inline fuel filter

borissytch
I want to replace the in-line fuel filter on my CB750SC '83. It's not supposed to be there but I don't have the in-tank filter. I don't have any markings on the one I have, so I'll have to find one approximately similar.

Does anyone knows any specs I should ask for? like maybe psi? or any other useful requirements to ask a salesperson?

thanks!
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: choosing an inline fuel filter

Get one with a paper element. They are the best for filtering. I got one of the sintered bronze ones and it let junk into my bowls.   Paper.It just works better

Re: choosing an inline fuel filter

These bikes are gravity-feed:  this means that the fuel pressure is less than 1 PSI.  Check the tube size. but I believe it is 1/4" ID tubing.  Also, use a spring hose clamp of the proper size, on each end.  There may not be much room, so a disc-shaped filter may be the best, as it takes up the least amount of 'hose length', so it will be easier to fit into the fuel line.  Avoid any that have opaque plastic housings:  they are likely using a metal screen filter element, within, which will allow small bits of crud to pass easily, as already stated.  Paper element filters are best, providing the best filtration possible.  Cheers!

Re: choosing an inline fuel filter

Like this? Inline fuel filter

You may be able to find something similar at your local auto parts store, or a shop specializing in small engines (lawn mowers, tractors, etc).

Re: choosing an inline fuel filter

borissytch
Thanks!
I bought plastic transparent one with paper element, but have to wait before I can try to start the engine.
I got it at the local auto parts store for $ 6 CAD after tax. Hope it''ll be fine
Honda CB750SC Nighthawk '83

Re: choosing an inline fuel filter

sgtslag
That will be perfect.  When you see the paper filter getting discolored, time for a replacement -- easy to monitor, easy to replace, and excellent filtration of even fine particles (better filtration than the OEM metal screen filters many of these bikes had).  Best of luck.  Cheers!