the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

parksbuddy
Started with a 1980 cb750k, paid $450 for it in the fall

been working on the bike during the winter, in a non heated garage so I couldnt even give her a good cleaning yet, (-40 winters here in northern Ontario Canada) forgive the dirt.

I tossed some pods on for the photo opp, they are as good as garbage with the CV carbs and my limited skill and tools.

some close ups of my DIY stencil work.

this is my emblem a buddy of mine laser cut for me out of 1/8 steel. You'll only get my bike theme if you have seen The Big Lebowski movie. haha  this will be on my tank.

almost complete and ready for summer, have bar mirrors to put on and some signal lights ordered up. probably chopping off the rear end of the frame, and possibly shortening my pipes.
1980 CB750K four

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

The art work looks top notch! Is that paint? Sharpie?

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

parksbuddy
Believe it or not, it was all done with some good old krylon rattle cans.  The stencils were printed off the internet on my home printer and patiently cut out with a pen type exacto blade.  Used some spray on stencil adhesive and finished with a clear coat.
1980 CB750K four

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

seestheday
Nice.  Where in Ontario are you?  I'm much further south in Waterloo.

Did you make a fibreglass seat pan for that cafe seat?  I have a spare stock seat and have been planning on cutting it down.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

I bought the seat brand new from Carpy http://www.cb750cafe.com/products-page/seats/giulerri-style-seat-cafe-racer/ its a bit pricy but it is a beautiful custom fit seat for cb's
1980 CB750K four

Im up in Thunder Bay Ontario. right at the top of lake superior.  its a balmy -8C today.
1980 CB750K four

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

seestheday
Oh those seats designed for the SOHC fit on our DOHC bikes?  Interesting.  That opens up some options.

It's -4 here in Waterloo right now.  We got a fair amount of snow this morning.

My cb750 video site

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

parksbuddy
Yep fits like a glove. I used the mounting brackets off the stock seat and secured them to the fibreglass bottom of the new seat using some short beefy screws. Worked out good.
1980 CB750K four

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

seestheday wrote
Oh those seats designed for the SOHC fit on our DOHC bikes?  Interesting.  That opens up some options.

It's -4 here in Waterloo right now.  We got a fair amount of snow this morning.
I wondered what they fit. They sure don't fit the SOHC frames. Just look at the Buffet Racer build.

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

parksbuddy
I pretty much found carpys website, emailed him and asked if his seats would fit, he said yes and built me a seat. so im not sure he builds generic seats that fit dohc cb's or he made me one that fit my bike. I definitely didnt get one off the shelf, cause I got impatient and emailed him after I ordered to get a ETA and he was still waiting on material of some sort.
1980 CB750K four

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

I tried to order parts from him two different times. After a lengthy wait ,both times, I just got my refund and rolled on.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the artwork. That's incredible that it is rattle can! Too cool.

this is where im at now. had to put the goofy stock cluster on for the safety. also have to stick the break light led strip and blinkers on.  still waiting on a CDI in the mail. had one delivered but it was used and showed up defective. luckaly the ebay seller was great and sent me a new one with low miles. Im getting pretty impatient now. just want to fire it up!!!
1980 CB750K four

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

parksbuddy
So this is where im at now. have to jump through hoops for a road safety inspection. Waiting on some new sprockets, chain and fork seals to get safety, and they're making me put the stock battery cage back on, and chain guard but we'll see how long that lasts. altho the stock side covers dont look to bad.  my problem with cylinder firing is cured now with a new cdi. cant wait to get it on the road, our weather is finally nice.
1980 CB750K four

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

parksbuddy wrote
So this is where im at now. have to jump through hoops for a road safety inspection. Waiting on some new sprockets, chain and fork seals to get safety, and they're making me put the stock battery cage back on, and chain guard but we'll see how long that lasts. altho the stock side covers dont look to bad.  my problem with cylinder firing is cured now with a new cdi. cant wait to get it on the road, our weather is finally nice.
What Communist country do you live in?

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

seestheday
Ha, in Canada a lot of the safety has to do with the mechanics discretion.  They do have a checklist of things that are required, but there is also a lot of judgement.  E.g. if the mechanic doing the safety inspection decides that the aftermarket battery box isn't safe, then your bike won't pass the inspection.

I've heard it is MUCH worse in Australia.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

Australia has declared WAR on the "Bikies" (Bikies, doesn't that sound scary?) I was watching some news feed on it on YouTube awhile back. I am SOOOOOO glad I do not live there.

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

masiste
Silly to get that fastidious on old bikes.

I understand safety issues like some bobber bikes running ultra low to ground, clearance zero. Or no rear shocks...you could end up flying and hanging on a tree limb upon a pot hole with such no shock bikes, or real crazy ape handlebars......but other than that, who cares if you install your battery under the seat or if your fork seals are not new ?

Wish they were that fastidious upon manufacturers on parts availability issues. I believe it is irresponsable and  wrongfull on part of manufacturers to mass sell vehicles only to stop production of replacement parts 10 years after the model was sold. It means your vehicle is only good for 10 years. A rip off.  Manufacturers should display on new car lots, affixed to new car windows, a note that would alert buyers about this fact. Your newly purchased vehicle will cease to have supply of new parts in 10 years.  And all used car lots and every used car should have a sticker disclosing how many years this car has in regard to parts availability. It could have only 2 years left, and if older than 10 years, no more parts available for this vehicle !

Current law is not geared to protect the consumer, to make sure the vehicle bought will be supplied with parts and supported by technical service for years to come, on the contrary it compells and pushes consumers into buying new vehicles asap so companies can make more money, and its partners in this crime, the governments, make more revenue from those sales and related activities.

The sooner the government can force you to junk your ride in favor of you purchasing a new one the better for government and manufacturer.
750DOHC

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

I have owned, and ridden several hardtail bikes, and never went flying through the air when hitting a pothole, or under any other situation that would have anything to do with the lack of rear suspension. Hell, up untill the late 40's most all bikes had hardtails. However I have seen so cafe bikes with the battery mounted under the seat where the rear tire hits it, that I do not even care enough to point it out to the owner/rider/builder any more. If that is how they want it, fine. It is their bike, and it is not going to hurt me, and I truly believe people should have the freedom to make mistakes, even if it could hurt them.

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

TOOLS1 wrote
 I truly believe people should have the freedom to make mistakes, even if it could hurt them.
TOOLS
True. If it's not a matter of public safety then they should stay out of it. But there's good revenue in such laws.

masiste wrote

The sooner the government can force you to junk your ride in favor of you purchasing a new one the better for government and manufacturer.
Ain't that the durn truth!

Good luck on your inspection Parksbuddy. Same for such a cool bike to have to sit.

Re: the big lebowski 1980 cb750k brat

parksbuddy
It's been a while since I updated. But this is the beast in all its glory.
1980 CB750K four
12