'78K Resto-Mod-"HaCkJoB"

123456 ... 40

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Half-Caf
shinyribs wrote
"I would just stop and reconsider what your attempting to do. If the bike already has a complete suspension then just leave it be, if it isn't broke don't fix it."
Haha, who are these people and where do they come from??
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

I call 'em nay Sayers. You can find them at most any fancy type coffee shop. Sometimes you can spot them at home depot . They are the ones wearing khakis and loafers and buying a bag of grass seed and worrying the piss out of the clerk on what is the best way to plant grass. Those types...

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Half-Caf
shinyribs wrote
I call 'em nay Sayers... Sometimes you can spot them at home depot . They are the ones wearing khakis and loafers...
Haha, I thought you were gonna say "they're the ones wearing the orange aprons"
I have no problem asking people for help, but that store is different...

By the way, I'm looking forward to this build. Mine is also gonna go a little bit down the street tracker route -We should have a build-off!
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Check out customfighters.com

Some really weird stuff over there.But some cool ideas,too

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

KZrider.com has some really wild streetfighter builds on it.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

I sounded kinda harsh before.There's nothing wrong with asking for help.Lord knows I do it all the time!

Got lucky tonight. I took the left side spacer out of my spoke wheel ( the drum wheel Slow,dont get excited) and put it on my Comstar.Wheel and chain lined up perfectly with that spacer! All I have to do is shave about 1/4" off the factory caliper mount and it'll all fit and line up in this swing arm.Awesome.I pulled a string down the center of the frame and it hit center of the wheel dead-on.Tools' chain offset issue on MV scared me so I threw the motor in the frame to verify chain alignment.All is well

I got a buddy who works at a machine shop looking into making me an axle.Should be about $20.Nothing in stone,yet

Kinda unhappy with how the shock linkage and dog bones hang down low. It's not hangingbelow the kickstand mount,but i woulda liked it to tuck up a little neater.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

cdaiscool
That's an awesome pic!

Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Half-Caf wrote
-We should have a build-off!
No fair.You gotta head start...and a bigger motah! Regardless,I'm gamelets cut 'em!

Thanks CDA. If you like it then i know it was in good taste

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

slownugly007
D'oh yea for a split second I got excited...then I saw the picture and got re-excited! GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY that swingarm looks awesome!!!!???  Id say as long as the dogbone and shock dont interfere with anything I dont think it looks bad where it sits. It almost looks like its suppose to go there?

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Half-Caf
I feel like I'm missing something: Where do you intend on sitting?
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Half-Caf wrote
I feel like I'm missing something: Where do you intend on sitting?
Patience grasshopper. I haven't got that far yet. I'm looking for suitable aluminum square stock that'll hold my girlish figure. Trying to shed as much top weight as possible.

 I found a few pics online about the shock linkage. The center link pretty much just sits level at ride height.But they sell lowering kits for these bikes that are just a different length dog bone,so the angle is really not set in stone.Once I found that out I went to work.

Just tacked. I'll finish TIGging it up when shes off the table.

Plenty of sprocket clearance!

Aaaaand...we have motion!

I'm waiting on my tubing to make the upper mount for the shock. I am wondering about setting the ride height correctly. I dont know if the shock will squat some with just the weight of the bike or not. I know that the shocks on the bike I have now sit at full extension with no rider on the bike.Not sure if this shock works the same or not. As far as I know,all bikes sit at full extension at with no rider,but I could be wrong and really dont wanna screw this up.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Actually measured(for myself,this time) the s-arm differences.ZX arm is 1 3/4" longer. So I get a little bit of the stretch I wanted automatically,but not the full four inches,though.

Question. S-arm pivot needs to stay as close to front sprocket as possible due to s-arm arc/chain slack issues.I get that. Do you think moving the pivot back 2'' from stock combined with this 1 3/4'' stretched arm will be ok,or cause issues? Or is this extra 1 3/4'' enough to screw me up already? Or am I good?Or what? Opinions please...

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

It depends on how much travel the suspension will have, as to whether it will be a problem, for the chain. I have seen guys move the swing arm pivot back, but I think I would stretch the swing arm. However then that would add leverage to the suspension maybe upsetting the spring rate. Maybe, you should stretch the neck.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

cdaiscool
shinyribs wrote
So I get a little bit of the stretch I wanted automatically,but not the full four inches,though.

Opinions please...

Man, you only have 4 inches to work with?

I get that it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean, but dude... nobody gets to England in a row boat!

Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Tools,you read my mind on the neck. The arm is 2'' stretched as is.Not stretched for a ZX,but 2" longer for a CB. The Suzy tank I have off you makes my seat start 3 or 4 inches back from stock on a CB. I was thinking,like you said,if I push the neck out 2"+the 2" longer arm+ the 3" forward seat,that all adds up to 7''!Cuz I'm thinkin if I push the neck up 2'' I can push the tank up 2'',too. Should I fool with the rake,though? I'm thinking ''no''.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

   Looks like progress
 talked with this guy that had a Ninja,Was going to let me take pictures but when looked at his bike wrong year ,He said "to wish you good luck" his single sided shock looked weard up high at an angle on right side But plenty of ground clearance.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

I'm talking with a guy on customfighters forum. I had mine wrong.Center link can't sit level,needs downhill tilt to it.He's getting me straight!

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

Piute

  This one was like 10 oclock and 4 ya know almost level to ground but up high above swing with a "Z" link-age to it bone crusher fo sho.(get yo foot in there.

Re: '78K Resto-Mod...name to come later

shinyribs wrote
Tools,you read my mind on the neck. The arm is 2'' stretched as is.Not stretched for a ZX,but 2" longer for a CB. The Suzy tank I have off you makes my seat start 3 or 4 inches back from stock on a CB. I was thinking,like you said,if I push the neck out 2"+the 2" longer arm+ the 3" forward seat,that all adds up to 7''!Cuz I'm thinkin if I push the neck up 2'' I can push the tank up 2'',too. Should I fool with the rake,though? I'm thinking ''no''.
Are, you reinventing the "Water Buffalo?"

123456 ... 40