As if I didn't have enough to do...

I hauled this sucker home today. But I'm stoked about it! 1967 El Camino. Front clip is off a '66 SS. Some idiot drilled an otherwise pristine SS hood for pins,but the car is solid.

-Solid floor pans
-Really decent body(remember,I'm on the east coast)
-All doors and windows work smooth
-Tailgate is 100% rust free and works better than I've ever seen
-Originally a 3 on the tree converted to a TH350 auto with floor shift<-yuck,it works just fine.Nice pink fluid with firm shifts.
-350 engine that runs nice and smooth with a rebuilt quadrajet. A buddy I trust did the carb and he's a Rochester guru. Real happy about that.Good oil pressure.60 psi at idle cold,30 at idle hot
-Seat out of a Toyota pickupLooks wrong,but is super comfy and leaves way more room behind the seat than the stock setup.I'm leaving it.
-Basic transportation: manual steering and brakes.No A/C. I love it!

New carpet on the floor and the door panels are pretty nice. Needs the brakes gone through,a wiring harness,exhaust gaskets,tune up and a pair of front tires. Nothing leaks,nothing rattles but the lights on the back don't work. $125 for a new wiring harness and she'll be ready for business.

Best of all it cost me nothing out of pocket. Not one red cent! I just gotta do about a months worth of work on a '57 Belair for a buddy and it's mine. Well,I already have the title in hand but you know...still gotta earn it.

So say hello to my new friend! A true American two seater

Oh,and it's not getting painted.Ever.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

You SUCK!!!! Congrads on the new (and one of the few I really want) Chevy.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

seestheday
Dude, that is awesome. I'm very jealous. Will this be your daily driver?

I often dream a little about a rat rod for a daily driver, but I think the snow and cold of Canada would just ruin it too fast.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Lucky 1
I like it!
Love that engine compartment. Simple as pie.
Sort of like a CB750.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Hoosier Daddy
Nice Elk!
Congrats!
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

free2ride
must be nice to have time.

spent the week moving a daughter.

will spend next week moving a son.

and I'm supposed to be "resting"

where's that "extremely jealous" smilie? congrats!
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

MarkPBG
Awesome! I need to find a bike hauler like that! So much better than a trailer behind a toyota corolla. :)
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

If you ever want to sell it, offer it to Danny the Count, of Count's Kustoms.  That thing is a beauty!  Honestly, I would love to see it fully restored, or Kustomized -- Oh, Baby!!!  Enjoy.  Cheers!

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

shultz_1978
AWSOME
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Lucky 1 wrote
I like it!
Love that engine compartment. Simple as pie.
Sort of like a CB750.
Exactly,Lucky! This is the age of ''technology'' that I trust and why I love old iron. It might use a little more fuel,but they are actually very reliable and cost of ownership is nearly nothing. There's nothing on these old cars that can't be rebuilt with basic hand tools or just one or two special tools here and there.

Prof. Sees',it will be a daily driver of sorts. I've been wanting another old car to drive to keep miles off my truck. My normal daily driver (The Pimpala)is still locked away in paint jail so the miles have really been racking up on the truck. Once the Pimp is back(it has A/C) this will be my rain ride. Keep miles of the truck-dont have to drive the Pimp in the mud-take the Elky if it's raining/gf is with me/need to haul more than the bike will hold.

Sarge,you mentioned restored. I doubt this car will ever get a full on resto,but I will not let it rot away from neglect,either. I need a beater:something to drive and not worry about it getting scratched. I do take care of my stuff,but a resto is not in the cards. Not for several years,at least. Of course,I've been known to sprout a wild hair from time to time.

Thanks for the Congrats guys. My absolute dream car of all time is a '59 Impala. Ahh,those things are art on wheels!

*moment of silent respect..............................*

 But a '67 Elk with a '66 front end was too good to pass up!I'm totally stoked and cannot wait to see this thing motoring down the highway again.  I have no budget or time allowed for this car that I can see right now,but it just always seems to work out someway or another.Who needs sleep...???? I'm really fighting the urge to slap one of my old spare big blocks in here,yet I know I really need to keep it civilized. But...I am a horsepower junkie and knowing I've got a 550hp/600+tq,noisy-gear driven, 396 rat motor (well,408 now) lurking in the corner is killing me.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Oh,I forgot to mention. All of my vehicles get named. Sometimes it takes a while for the name to stick,but Crystal named this one right off the bat.

Opie. Short for opulence.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Here's why I'm so happy about the mix of being a '67 with a '66 front end.

Here's what the tail end of a '66 looks like. Stacked tail lights

And a '67 front end has this funky looking smushed in,stubby looking front end.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

easyrider12
OMG why wasn't I told about this?   just stumbled accross the post.  I give you permission to show this build and transport the harley in the back.   Just hoping
most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handelbars to the saddle.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

lol. No,I think I have enough build threads going on now

But life is good! Did some horse trading today. I have a TH350 tranny that I gave $150 for yeeeears ago. I'm trading it for the wiring harness I need and all the gaskets to get the exhaust system sealed up.

No cash outta pocket.Just the way I like it!

And if things work out I'll be trading some 9'' rearend parts for a set of tires Ah,used car parts for new ones....redneck currency at it's best.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Did some more trading today :)  Just swapped an old pair of double humps for a complete weather stripping kit for the old gal. Happy, happy.

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

shultz_1978
Nice. I am think about trading off the 96 T/A for a old ford like 72 and older or chevy 80's and older pick up. The car is fun and will set you back in the set till about 45 -50. when you can pull your head out of the seat. They only made 225 of them in the color in 96. But I would like a older truck or maybe a car with a v-8 4 speed. OOOOO the older iron just has style.
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Do it!!!  I love the older stuff. I really do find them cheaper to drive. And set up right they get the same fuel mileage as modern vehicles. Not the pmg of a little subcompact Hyundai,of course,but mid/upper teens mpg is about the norm for SUV's and pickups anyway...why not own something you can work on!

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Hoosier Daddy
DAMN! a 9" rear end and a set of Camel-back heads... Dude, wish I would have known you when I had this!

Seriously, I was gathering parts to Pro-Street that 66 'Vair. I got it for a $1 from an old boss when he closed the Dealership I worked at. Had me a 350 / TH350 combo out of a '76 Monte. Weiand intake, and was looking for an old S-10 for the chassis to drop the body onto and stuff the engine / trans into the front. But when I started doing the math the final price was staggering... That's what got me into bikes.  Sold it all one day to pay for the funds to do the 'oldwing ...MUCH cheaper to get a respectable build with only two wheels.
Still it would have been fun and sometimes I wish I would have kept it all, especially when I see an old clapped out S-10 shortbed for sale cheap. She would have been done by now.

81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: As if I didn't have enough to do...

Truck
I love the old El Camino's. They were the Mullet of cars, all buisness in the front, and party in the back!
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"