Half-Caf: my '80 cb750f SS cafe project

12345 ... 19

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
You sly dog, you...
After shelling out $200 for my license, registration, title, and plates I can see how it would be tempting to just skip the formalities and ride.
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL
wes

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

wes
thats a nice ride there haf caf!. you at the right place for advice. ive had my bike just a few months now. they r a true pleasure
With my opinion and your knowledge, we can change the world.
KEEP YOUR FISTS UP, FOR BALANCE AND PROTECTION!!!
i like fat chicks

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

 You sly dog, you...
   I'm not that sly any-more ,1 jobs 1.8 miles I ride my bicycle,the others clear across other side of town
 I don't take chances on my freedom to ride ,lost my lic.in 06 for 3 months was  Not again
  Plenty to do around the shop to keep busy ,But will get a good ride in before snow starts to stick,
  So you just take that nice looking 1/2 CafĂ© and give us a few miles
>>>Piute<<<N>>>Judose<<<

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

If it idles rough, and pops, and backfires. The best thing to do is to block it off.

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

block what off?

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

The little hole in the aircut valve.

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
So, I've been running the wheels off my bike the last couple of days. I have found that even through it still runs a bit rough,  after keeping it steady at 55, it smooths out eventually (but then runs rough at lower rpms). The bike still won't idle without dying. It sits right around 1000 rpm and quits after a few seconds.

Yesterday was the first time I took a girl out on a ride. It was running great until I stopped to chat after going a while, then the electric start wouldn't even respond (only a clicking sound from the starter). I was able to push start it, but then it died again after only a few minutes. I did this maybe 6 or 7 more times, but could not keep it going. -I'm wondering if maybe its an issue with a faulty kill switch?

I ended up taking the carbs off as planned. I also took off the exhaust and noticed that the far left cylinder was black and oily looking compared to the others. The insides of the carbs were all squeaky clean with the exception of the tops (not sure what they're called). I attached a picture for reference. Notice that the #1 carb is also black in the top of the carb area as well.

There was also a bit of varnish built up in the bowls. I stripped all the plastic and rubber parts off and soaked all the bits in a bath of "Power Purple" cleaner/degreaser. I plan on letting them soak until I work on it again Saturday.

All the valves inside actually looked brand new. I think they must have been replaced not long ago. I will be syncing the carbs on Saturday and probably installing an inline fuel filer while I'm at it.
Any more thoughts on the rough Idle and that dirty #1 cylinder/carb?
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Just read about the wintergreen oil carb softening method -thanks, shinyribs!
I think I will try this today as my intake boots were super hard. Maybe could be causing an air leak...

Any thoughts on that dirty #1 cylinder / carb before I go to work on it?
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Racingrobby
Let me know if  the intake boots helped. I was laughing because I was  reading all your old post about bike not running right and one pipe (the far lefted one) being colder then the rest .All  the same problems I'm having.. And I just brought my bike about the same time you did ..And same bike and year..Crazy !!  Oh I really nice the bike I want to do about the same half/cafe you have .What are the bars you have ??
1980 CB 750f ss  .... Elmira ,NY

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Well, so much for trying to restore those intake boots... The only way I got them off was with a blowtorch, pliers, and the biggest flat screwdriver I had.
Ended up ordering a set of intake boots from vintage cb750's (along with some other things). I guess I will have to paint stuff in the meantime

A lot more to say and some pictures as well, but I think I will have to post a more thorough update when it is no longer 4 am.

RR- The bars I have are vortex clip-ons -pretty cool in my opinion. Hopefully some of the problems I've encountered can help you out with your bike, as well. I will be using the wintergreen method on the airbox-side boots, so I will keep you posted as to how that works out.

The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Peterwh
I looked at the link for the yellow coils.  I dont know if this is supignificant but it does say not for use with twin cam applications.

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

  YOU ; I guess I will have to paint stuff in the meantime

  Can get alot of paint done waiting how i got mine painted well one half ,now to do the top and scuff up the good stock side,
   had to much time and like what I did so not going back with stock paint look.

   winter green woeked great on my ,all my boots and tank rubbers also,
    Thanks to the "man"
                                  >>>Piute<<<N>>>Judose<<<<<

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
So, a note for all who have been following this: never use purple power -it  was a disatster!
Here is a pic of the carbs after I let them soak for 2 days:

Notice that there's crap built up everywhere. It was some kind of mineral deposit that formed...
So, I ended up with a big mess, My solution?

Also, since I had everything off, I decided to paint the caps off of the carbs and the starter cover as well.

It's killing me not to be out riding with only a little bit of the season left... They are calling for weather in the 70's all week, but I won't be going anywhere until I get those boots in the mail

In other news, I did go ahead and replace the right hand controls with some I got off craigslist.
I also used the wintergreen I got on the airbox boots. They seemed like they were ok before, but I had to wintergreen something, right??

So, for now, my bike remains parked in the garage, naked...

The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Four bottles of The Works?!?!  I bet a dollar you dont even use up oneThe cashier must think you have a really nasty bathroom

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
I actually used 3 bottles and  soaked everything in a diluted solution.
I was done messin around
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Holy crap!!!! I owe you a dollar

1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Come on by...i only pay bets in cash

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
80 degrees outside today!
Cant wait to get my new carb boots in the mail...
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Racingrobby
I just order boots today..  I hope getting new boots help you and I.  Oh my battery is dead just about everytime I go to start it I charge it runs fine next day dead ?? I dont know if it's battery or that ?? Put a meter on battery at 3k will show 14 and go down and up to 8 and back up Im not sure if I doing it right this just after I change the battery. Can someone tell me how to check the battery .  thanks
1980 CB 750f ss  .... Elmira ,NY
12345 ... 19