Half-Caf: my '80 cb750f SS cafe project

123456 ... 19

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Racingrobby
Sorry I dont know how to use the meter?? Or that ohm to use Im so lose with this thing.. Any help would be AWESOME ...  Thanks everyone who has answers before sorry I always have questions .. Sorry
1980 CB 750f ss  .... Elmira ,NY

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

What do you want to know about your meter?

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Racingrobby
How to use it and that setting to use .
1980 CB 750f ss  .... Elmira ,NY

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Make sure you have a dc meter first off.Have run into this before. The symbol for ac is a V with a wavy line indicating alternating current.  The symbol for dc is a V with two parallel lines, one solid and one dotted indicating direct current.   After that just use a setting that moves the decimal point to where you are able to read 2 place after the decimal point and you'll be fine.Thats all i do.No need to complicate things with talk of 200k and 500m and so on. If you can see a decimal point,you're in good shape.The red and black leads dont matter when checking dc.If you reverse the polarity at the meter it doesnt matter.IMPORTANT! Dont try to use the ohm's setting with voltage present!You could burn out your meter or pop the internal fuse.Clear as mud?Hope this helps

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
So, I got a package in the mail today! Dropped everything and went to work on my bike.
Reassembled the carbs and got them installed with the new boots. They are looking pretty with their new painted caps (will have to put a pic up).

I took it for a brief spin around the neighborhood and it seemed to be running much smoother. I think there must have been an air leak with those old cracked boots...

The carbs still need synced, but I figured it was good enough to get around for about a day on.
Well, I was wrong, rode it to work (about 10 miles) and it died on me at the light right before I pulled in. I tried starting it back up and the battery is shot. Luckily I thought to toss my multimeter in my bag -battery read 11.8.

When I checked the battery in my garage, I was getting 20v at around 2.5 k.
I thought that was a little high, but it seemed to be running ok. I was just glad it was getting something.

So, any thoughts? This is basically what happened the last time it died. Rode great for a while, then just died and refused to start back up.
Maybe its time for me to get a new rotor instead of riding the one I fixed...
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

20 volts sound like a voltage regulator issue.You probably already knew that.That may be overcharging your battery,which will eventually kill it.You're getting closer!Already miles ahead of me.Are your bars clubmans or clip ons?

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Hmm, that's what I was thinking, but not wanting to admit to myself...
I think I might just buy a new regulator/rectifier AND rotor. I saw a guy on ebay selling them together with a warranty.

shinyribs wrote
Are your bars clubmans or clip ons?
The bars are Vortex clip-ons -I love the way they look. They're about $130.
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Whoa.Thats a little pricey.Im not saying that you overpayed,im sure you didnt,just more than i go for right now.Have you ever used clubmans?I rode my reversed stock bars tonight.Wasnt real pleased

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Oh, I know they're pricey, but I'm just glad they came with the bike
Makes me not feel quite as bad for all the other $$$ I'm spending on it...

shinyribs wrote
Have you ever used clubmans?
I have not. Although, I think they look pretty cool as well. Although not quite as clean as clip-ons in my opinion.
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

The clip ons are definitely cleaner looking.I think the clubmans look a little more old school.I just dont like the idea of welded handlebars like the clubmans.Ive heard bad things about z-bars

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

"Ive heard bad things about z-bars" Just like corn syrup?

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Ended up purchasing a rebuilt rotor and a new regulator / rectifier last night for $160 with expedited shipping. Both have a 1 year warranty which makes me feel a little better about spending the $$.

Soon enough there should be no excuse for my bike breaking down because all the parts will be new

Also, Tools, I don't get your post
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Maybe it will make more sense now. Every one says corn syrup is bad, but can not explain why, or how it is bad. What's bad about Z-bars?

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Daddyman
Corn syrup is bad because of  the chemical process to make it and the type of corn used to make it.  the corn they use is inedible yntill that chemical process.  The corn used to make ethanol comes off of the same crop.  Watch the documentary King Corn
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

What's bad about Z-bars?

               They don't come with syrup or butter

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Piute n Judose wrote
What's bad about Z-bars?
Also inedible until they are processed properly.
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

I am sure you can buy both good and cheap bars.I know of 3 people that had z-bars break off at the weld  joints while riding.My Pops being one of them.

1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

I have climbed ladder rungs on the side of a metal smoke stack 80 feet high. I was welding them on as I went up. I will trust anything I have welded.

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Daddyman
I'm with you Tools, I made my bars and welded them.  Half you know your entire frame is welded together  right?
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado
123456 ... 19