Half-Caf: my '80 cb750f SS cafe project

1234567 ... 19

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

The frame is pretty proven.I trust it,though half of the welds do look admittedly suspect.Key words in Tools Post:"anything I have welded"

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Daddyman
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
I rode the bike bake to my garage yesterday. The battery was still dead, but I was able to push start it.
I also found out that I can keep it running with a dead batt. by keeping the rpms above 2k (under that it dies).

On the way back I noticed a gasoline smell while I was sitting at a light. I looked down to see a stream of gasoline coming from my #1 carb  This was made worse by the fact that I didn't reinstall the drain tubes, so the gas was streaming straight onto the engine.

I managed to get the bike back without lighting on fire (although it was smoking by the time I killed the engine...

I know it sounds like a float problem, but how do you adjust that? Could adjusting the idle screw affect this?
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

I doubt the idle screw will do you any good.If the float level has been doing fine so far i would suspect debris in the needle.

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

When it does that. just tap the float bowel with the handle of a screw driver. Often that will jar anything lose from the needle.

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Hmm, thats a little disappointing being that I just took off the carbs and cleaned them.
Would that be the main jet??
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

No, it is the needle valve that is operated, by the float. Did, you install a fuel filter?

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
TOOLS1 wrote
Did, you install a fuel filter?
TOOLS
No, all the ones I saw were ugly and plastic looking.
Any suggestions for a decent one?

Maybe just a new petcock with one built in would be a better solution. I was really surprised with how little fuel flow this one supplies. Thoughts?
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

The cheap looking plastic ones are really pretty good. A lot better then the one on the petcock. Just use enough line to tuck it up under the tank.

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Fuel filter is a big time must.Well,that was an easy fix!Good deal!

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Question for you all: How do you remove the limiter caps on the pilot screws?
The manual says that you are to remove them, but doesn't say how

It also says "Any forcible attempt to remove the pilot screw limiter caps will cause screw breakage"
Any tips?
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Sorry bud,I cant help you there.I got the round top carbs and am barely familiar with those

EDIT:oops! for some reason i thought you posted this was on my thread.Thats why i responded.Sorry to waste the space

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
Yeah, what were you thinking??

My carbs actually have the round tops as well. I am away from home tonight, but this picture of my carbs all gunked up show the valve screws clearly:

The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Yours are different from mine.Are your carbs the keyhole carbs?

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

Half-Caf
I don't believe so. Can't you tell by looking at the top of the carbs?

Here's what mine look like:

The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

As far as i know there are only two types of carbs.The round tops and the keyholes.Mine are the round tops,yours must be the keyholes.Here are mine

1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

I would bet you a dollar again...but i already owe you $1

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

OK calm down. I'm here. Your carbs are the CV type from a DOHC bike. Probably the best carbs ever made. Just need some tweaking like blocking the air cut valve.

Re: Half-Caf: my new '80 cb750f SS -tips appreciated!

See?I'da lost again
1234567 ... 19