My 78 CB750F3 Super Sport Project

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
This post was updated on .
Giving this 34 year old carburetor hardware a facelift!

Primer and paint

Using "Toon - Brite" acid base aluminum cleaner on carburetors.  Container in front has several gallons of water with 2lbs of baking soda in it to neutralize acid on parts, otherwise the acid keeps on eating metal.  The first day I did this I wet them once with the cleaner and waited 5 min/per instructions and rinsed and neutralized parts.  Did very little.  Today I kept them wet with cleaner until the thick grey crusty layer disappeared (about 15-20 min).  Worked pretty well.

Managed to work through the oxidation layer that remained with aluminum polish in this spot in about 15 min.  Imagine how long it will take to polish all the cracks and crevices!  Hmm, thats more work than I want to do.  I'm takin Tools advice and soda blasting the rest off.

78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

The best way to remove those pilot jets is to use a 4-40 tap, 4-40 screw, nut, washer, and a short piece of metal break line tubing. The idea is to tap into them about 1/4 inch, then slide the break line tube over the jet, and screw the screw into the jet. Then by tightening the nut down, you pull the jet right out. However sometimes the jet will come out while you are tapping it. Also the threads will not hurt anything in the jets.

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
Thx Tools, thats pretty slick, I'll have to try that next time.
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
This post was updated on .
I got some ideas searching the internet for a way to do Soda Blasting with a home made rig.  I got about 5 ft of 1/2" ID clear tubing, a blowgun, some duct tape, one of those clear Ozarka one gallon drinking water bottles, a large plastic soda bottle, something stiff to tape to the last foot of the tubing to hold it straight ,a stiff piece of single strand wire like romex about 10 inches long, a 2 rubber band tight fitting particle mask (3M, they usually have these at Home Depot in the paint department) , goggles that seal well and an air compressor.  About duct tape, the only real duct tape youre going to find is at a real air conditioning supply company, the rest of them are just cheap imitations.  When you use real duct tape it is HARD to get off.  The only thing that comes close is the black 3M duct tape at Home Depot.

Cut a hole in the top of the big water bottle a little larger than the diameter of the soda bottle and then cut a hole in the bottom of the big water bottle that the top of the soda bottle will fit into then poke the soda bottle through and put the cap on as shown in the picture to connect the 2 bottles so they will not come apart.  The inverted soda bottle will help feed Baking Soda to the end of the feed hose.

Drill a hole in the tubing about 6" from the end that is just a little smaller than your blowgun nozzle and stick it through it.

Tape the hose to the blowgun with the duct tape.

Tape the wire to the other end of the tube leaving it sticking out about 2 1/2" to keep it up in the soda, then tape the stiffener to that end of the tube to stiffen the last foot of the feed tube.

Stick your feed tube in the feed bottle, fill it with baking soda and have at it.  You have to rock the bottle occasionally to shake soda to the bottom and once in a while the tube will get too much soda and you'll have to empty it but for the most part it worked pretty well for me.

You don't have to have a big compressor to make this work.  This is the compressor I used and it worked fine.

78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
This is before soda blasting.

This is after.  Needless to say, I was impressed.  Thx Tools!

Carbs before I started cleaning.

After Soda Blasting.

78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

That's a pretty slick rig, you made up there. Glad it worked, those carbs look great.

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Agreed.Very nice!

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
Thx guys, whats the best way to finish this, aluminum polish, clear coat or both?
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Polish would look nice,but it wont last. Clear coat paint wont hold up to gas very well either. They'll be OK like they are. If they start to get a lil funky then you can give them a wipe down with carburetor cleaner. But if you really wanna keep them looking good clear powder coat would be near bullet proof.

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
This post was updated on .
Is powder coating ceramic?
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

It's not. Ceramic coatings are ceramic (sorry! not trying to be a smart aleck),powder coating is basically just melted plastic. There are different kinds-epoxy,flouropolymers(sp?),polyester and a few more,but these are the basic and most common three. Epoxies are the best all around for toughness and gloss shine(if it is a gloss).Polyesters flow very well for a very smooth finish/gloss,but dont have the abrasion resistance of epoxy. Flouropolymer is very tough and abrasion resistance,but doesn't gloss well.They tend to look milky after alot of weather exposure.Kinda got carried away theremy bad.

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
This post was updated on .
The local Honda shop foreman told me where they got all their paint for the bikes they work on, it's called Colorrite.com.  I checked it out and it has paint for a lot of different bikes.
I also found this 2 part clear coat I'm going to try when I paint my frame and tank called 2K Clear Coat .http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1  Has excellent resistance to gas and oil.  Guys on the CX500 forum swear by it.  (Better than swearing at it lol)
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
A few issues to address when I get around to it.  Looks like I'll be replacing the fork seals.

And find a way to tighten up the headlight

Cutting and grinding and fabricating a new exhaust bracket

and clean out the front brakes and rebuild the MC

and bite the bullet and put a new wiring harness in it (I hope they exist)

and strip the frame, do some rust control and repaint it

78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Piute

     Dang thought i had plenty to do guess not,Don't burn yourself out ,with all that should be able to get Lil here n there,Are your wires brittle(like cracking easly) may get by with new conectors and plugs,(as I did)then if you can buy a new harness would be great too but seem a lot to remember to me(with all off at same time,they do it so can you.my frame I just touched up mostly up front from dirt n sand hitting it,of course the swingarm needed attention to ,but most every Lil peace I took off got cleaned N painted ,.Head light is it stripped out on the inside ? new bolt looks like needed unless your building A RAT-BIKE
                             Have fun....

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hellbilly429

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
I dont know what a rat bike is but if it is cool I might think about it
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
I dont know why but when I bring that page up the wiring harness doesnt show up
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hellbilly429
Huh, just checked the link and it works for me. You have to scroll down to get to your year's harness, it's Part #: 24-4006

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hoko
I found that part number for a 78K but not under the 78F.  Will that one work for the F?
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: My 78 CB750F Super Sport Project

Hellbilly429
Honestly dude, the only thing I see different between the 2 are that the F's have 2 horns and the K's have 1.

Have a look for yourself

http://data.sohc4.net/WD750/CB750_F3_WD.jpg

http://data.sohc4.net/WD750/CB750_K8_WD.jpg
1234567