80 CB750 Supersport

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
Ok. Here is the knee dents I tried to hammer in

The tank free of most paint

The marks for the dents

The dents shot up to the top of the tank on both sides. I think I was hitting it too hard. Lighter taps and some patients might have helped.

Now I think I am going to try and channel out about 3/4 of and inch on each side where the crimps are and weld in some new metal where I want the knee dents. I did buy a new tank already and this will either become a work of art or a practice piece of junk. I'm not an expert welder

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
This is the look for now. I'm not sure I like the tank but it will do for now. I bought it from Steve Carpenter in Orange CA. I have to lower the coils to get the tank to sit this low. Also had to cut off the front knobs that hold on the stock tank.
Things I still need to do:
Guage mount
Wire the inline fuses
Mount the tank and seat
Paint the tank and seat
Finish brackets for front turn signals.

That should get it back on the raod. Then I will look at shorter cables, better looking handlebar switches, new brake lines, tires, I'll probably cut and paint the front fender.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Hellbilly429
ooh, I hope that tank isn't permanent, it's definately way too boxy, looks so out of place on that bike man, just my opinion tho

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Eh,I dont know Hellbilly. I always thought that a SOHC engine looked kinda old and classic,whereas a DOHC engine looks kinda tough and industrial. I kinda dig that tank on a DOHC bike like this. Looks tough I think. Really would have to see a side shot to really tell,though.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
I think it is a little boxy and too tall on the back end. I'll be looking for a replacement. This was a good deal for just over $400 and it’s ready for gas. Everything else I see on the internet is $800 to $1000. And some still need sealers and caps?? I’ll keep looking for other options and working on the tank with the hole in it. I am anxious to get it back on the road.  I'll also back it out of the garage and take a better pic.

Thanks for the input
Bill

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

pat english
oh yeah,that sucks bro..ive never done that either..i was hoping you nailed it(the kneee dents...i see youre going with a differant tank now)

are you from oc?

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Hellbilly429
If you spent $400 on that tank you probably could have picked up a whole junk bike with a decent tank for that price, I would check craigslist and maybe see if you have any bike shows or buddies with extra parts laying around.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
I live in Redondo Beach. Are you close by?

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
Up date on my CB750
Here are some photos of progress.

Here are the stock and new tank. Not an exact match.

I had to lower the coils

Front end tank mount slightly modified (thinner)

Primed seat and tank.

Painted  seat and tank, Tank still needs clearcoat

I have had some delays with the custom Gas Tank. Finding info on petcock and bung sizes and thread size and patterns has been tough. After buying three petcocks (two Harley and one Honda) and 2 pre made bung options, one weld on and one bolt on. I believe I have solved my problems and I will be attaching a pipe to the new tank and I am looking for a Die to thread it so the Honda Petcock will fit. So I am making my own bung. I will post the whole tank ordeal with pics when it is finished.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
Nice bike.I have my own CB750F DOHC (82)

Looking to add an aftermarket speedo and tach. Can we use an aftermarket speedo? How would it connect?

Same with the Tach.Perhapslike in a car ? (connecting it to the coil?)

Also planning on an oil pressure and oil temperature gauges. Got the set upfor the oil pressure. Looking for the oil temp.

Will get some photos of my bike soon.

Like your bike. I am using Telefix Clip on bars ( affixed to the forks )
750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
I'd like to see your bike. I am putting on an after market Speedometer but no tach. My bike has 2 coils so I'm not sure if you can run a tach of of the coils??. The speedometer I have has a different size mounting bolt so I'm still working that out. I hope I can find a new cable to fit both ends. If not I'll have to buy another speedometer

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Hellbilly429
According to this site this mini tach hooks up to the coils

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5600076
Just connect green wire to pink terminal of ignition coil and other wires according the instructions. The tach works perfect.

Not sure if this specific one will work with the cb750's, but CycleX has them.

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Machine%20Dress%20Up.htm

And Tools says if you mention this forum they will charge you more

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
Hi.  I also live in Redondo Beach.  I've seen quite a number of cafe racer bikes around here lately. Mostly SOHC Hondas. Wonder where they come from.  Seen one on the freeway and then down west on Artesia towards PCH.

      My bike will be running next week. I had it on a non op registration for a while( 2 yrs)  Finally fixed some engine oil leaks that causedme to stop ridding it. Gave it a paint job ( Porsche Orange )  It is orange  with black engine and wheels. Looks cool.

       The registration date is Sept 22. My bike was ready 2 months ago but had I wanted to ride it  before 9/22 I 'd had needed to pay last year's registration as well.  DMV sucks. full year reg for 2 mos?

       No rush,just waited.  On Monday Iam registering it and good to go. This weekend I am installing the F2 600 Honda coils ( I was advised on using those,better spark.) and a pro com igniter set. Not that I needed those but it is an improvement.

        Wanted to use pod air filters but this carburetors do not work fine w/o the stock air box.There is an issue with vacuum in that box, with simple pods the carbs do not work .. that is ok. Later on looking to score some performance carbs.

        Got the clip on bars. those have been on the bike for long.  Got a set of RAASK rear sets.I will get those on the bike later on. Want to use it as is and then change them in the comming weeks to feel the difference.

        Also got a rear stock wheel ( got same as yours, Comstar is the name,I like them ) that I got widened to 5.5in  Will get it powder chromed black and get a tire for it later this year ( looking for good tire prices by end of year sales. Want to get a good quality tire, cheap tires wear out fast, even good ones, but cheap tires go up in smoke in no time )

        Would like to see your bike sometime. Do not see many DOHC cool bikes often. I will get some pics this week.
750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
We need to get together. I would love to see your bike. Mine still is not on the road. It is registered and insured just having trouble withe the gas tank.

I've seen a couple cafe racers also in the area. I think it's the trendy thing to do.

My email is billsull61@gmail.com. Send me an email when you get your bike on the road (or sooner) and we will meet up. I'm hoping to be back on the road in about two weeks.

Bill

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
 Cool.

   I have family visiting but they leave this coming weekend. I am also registering the bike this week, so next week it should be on the road. Will send you an email so we can meet.

   About your gas tank. Like someone said before, you can get a used tank on e/bay. Even if you eventually want to use your aftermarket one, you can still ride your bike with the stock one until you finish the logistics of your new tank.

   I'll let yo know if I hear of any gas tank. Stock gas tanks work and look fine with cafe tail pieces/seats.

   Talk to you soon.

    I will e mail you so you have my address.

    late.
750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
Got it registered !!!

    WwwwwWWWOooOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!
750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
 Busy at work but soon will get my bike on the road. All I need to do is re route the throttle and clutch cables the guy working on my engine re assembled wrongly.

 Getting also better front suspension from RaceTech for my forks. Since they have all the pro tools and since they charge only $120 to inatall it all, I will take it in for that matter.

  Also just got in the mail the liquid filled oil pressure gauge.  All this while the weather cools off a bit. Not fun to ride with my face inside a fish tank !  That is how my helmet feels in 90 + humid heat !

  How's your bike Bill?
750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

newtothis
just skimmed the replys,,,,,please for the love of your bike do not put pods on the carbs,,,,,thats all i can say

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000

LOL. Thanks for the advice. That was the first thing I wanted to do but within the first two weeks of owning my bike and after reading many blogs/forums and web sites I learned that was a bad idea.
On Oct 6, 2012 6:59 AM, "newtothis [via Honda CB750&apos;S]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> just skimmed the replys,,,,,please for the love of your bike do not put pods on the carbs,,,,,thats all i can say

> NAML

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
I also heard and read all the concerns about this "Keihin" ( stock edition) carburetors and its difficulty ( not impossible, but seems not easy) in using them with pod filters.

The issue is not that these are not compatible with pods, but because they use vacuum for responsiveness, jetting is difficult ( yet, not imposible.)

I would like myself a set of jets for pod use with these carbs. No alternatives for good carburetion available ( no more Mikunis, no alternatives ) except CR Specials ( by Keihin as well ) which are expensive, but which seem to be very nice units. Not easy to set up from what I read, not a bolt on and ride, each bike reacts different to them ( lots of info on that matter at the CB1100 Supersport forums) and what discourages me from spending that money ( willing to spend money for the right deal) is that those CR Specials have no provisions for vacuum conectors, so that no synchronizer tool ( 4 vacuum gages conected ea to ea carb ) could be used.

I saw in the internet ( and will call them this week,did yesterday but they were closed for the wknd) a place called "Steel Bent Customs" .  Saw several videos of their cafe bikes, plenty DOHC ( and to my amusement, all  have pods on stock Keihins. Sounded right, and from what I saw, this guys either mastered the jetting/pod DOHC Keihin quandary or else a bunch , I'd say ,  crowd of  obstreperous clamouring customers will soon riot and we will find out in the news !

Will post my findings. Check it out "Steel Bent Customs"

Today ( and yesterday ) fixing some wire looms and throttle/clutch cables wrongly routed on my bike which could bind or jam if allowed like that. Tried to take the throttle cables of the throttle handle ( like I did the clutch cable)but found out it could not come off just like that. So now taking cables off at carb hook up.

Will get it started and riding today. After a coupledays of use, will add the coils and ignitors I got. Alsothe oil pressure gauge, and other "fun" stuff.

750DOHC
123456