80 CB750 Supersport

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
Worked on the Sppedometer this past week. I had to a custom cable made becasue the nut on the back of this speedometer did not match the stock nut.

Also made a mounting bracket out of aluminum

I modified/cut a chrome cup that I found at a local speed shop

Here it is semi mounted, I added the oil and nuetral lights also.

After putting this on, then trying to mount the headlight it seems that I may have to cut the headlight bowl a little to let the speedo cable hang straight. I also have put some in line fuses on and removed the fuse box. Everything seems to be working except the turn signals?? The stock lights had 3 wires the new ones have one so they may have to be changed. I'll use my hand signals for a while.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Hellbilly429
Wow, that is a really clean look you got going there

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

motorhead715
I havnt had any problems with running pods on my bike. It runs like a top... If you jet properly you will never have a problem! I have K&N pods and slip-on mufflers but stock other than that. I still get 35-40 mpg.
My jetting
Main: Drilled to .064"
Needle: 4 .020" shims (per needle)
Mixture Screw: 3.5 Turns Out
Drilled Slide lift holes to #14 drill bit

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
 Nice work Bill. Will send you an e mail as soon as my bike hits the road. Family visiting kept me away from working on it.

  Nice speedometer. Want to see it. Nice Club Man bars.

  Motorhead. Any photos of your bike? would like to see the set up (carb). Taking note of your carb mods. That is something I 'd like to do, nice pod filters and smoother response. Cool!
750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

  Showing some talent there ,
 Could the bracket(very nice by the way) be bent a couple of steps to clear cable rather then cutting bucket,was making the same but needed to ride and was for other faring.Keep it going looking sharp.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
 Hi Bill. Forgot to comment about the speedo location. Better to avoid cutting the headlamp bucket. Water and other unwanted ingredients could find a place to loiter through that opening.

 Another solution could be making another bracket that would allow the speedo to mount on one side coser to triple and on the other side an always usefull and cool looking tach. Since you have the ability to make a bracket, you could mod that one or make another with different shape.

 Nice work.
750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

motorhead715
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

motorhead715
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Hoosier Daddy
Congrats on havin the balls to mod a clean stocker, at first I was thinking "DAMN, don't know if I'd touch it" but what you are doing looks pretty good. That new tank almost reminds me of a Rickman cover.
Can you set the tins on and get us a good pic of how it looks red?
  If you are dead set on using Pods, I'd go with a set of Mikuni's off a Suzuki GSX (that's their 4 valve TSSC motor) It takes some customization for the cables and the insulators/boots/rubbers but those carbs are all over on E-bay. Don't know why Motorhead said there are no more, maybe he meant new.
The BS32's on my '80 GS750L roughly measure pretty damn close and I am thinking about removing them to see just how close they really match up. I just can't bring myself to piss with it yet.
  If you have a Breaker (salvage yard) close, it would be worth checking out. Mikuni's are much easier and cheaper to rebuild and respond to mods much better than our Keihns.

 If you got money falling out of your butt, there is always Sudco HERES A LINKY... They have a CR series especially for our bikes.

 Now on another note.... Do you still have the stock tank? I could sure use a cap and locking lever off a nice one. Let me know if I can e-mail you on it.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
     Nice mirrors. I am looking for a set like that. I had others (Napoleon.) and those worked nice. But once a dorky neighbor hit my bike while parking and dropped it, breaking one of them .

     Now that my bike is comming out from hybernation, and since I need a new mirror, why not a set like yours?

     What  brand is it, where did you get them?

750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

masiste
 Hi Hoosier.

    I have the same bike and looking a set of nicer carbies.  I read about the Keihin CR Specials ( 29 and 31 mm)  but although apparently great pieces, at that price I want to make sure I can bolt them on and have fun.

   But as many times as I read great comments, I also hear stories about messed up performance. Apparently these are whimsical carburetors.  I am leery about investing allthat money only to end up stuck in mud.

   The carbies are sold in a box, walk out from the store and you are on your own.

   The Mikunis seem better idea. Also read about Suzuki GSXR carbs. Got to make up my mind.
750DOHC

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Hoosier Daddy
Yea, I've read Pro's and Con's to, But there is SOOOO much more to a good running bike than slapping a new rack of carbs on. I think the Cons are either not properly set up or the owner was guessing a new set of CR's would fix his running problem, not knowing what it actually was caused by.

Billman3000 wrote
Everything seems to be working except the turn signals?? The stock lights had 3 wires the new ones have one so they may have to be changed. I'll use my hand signals for a while.
Your stock turn signals were also position (running) lights. I'd be willing to bet your new turn signals will work. They probably ground through the mount so make sure it's got a good clean ground there.. Connect the Orange wire to the wire on the left one and the Light Blue wire to the right one. The Orange / White and the Light Blue / White wires can be left off.
 If you do swap the turn sigs to dual filament pieces, the two wires with the white tracers go to the running lamps on their respective sides.
Hope that helps.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
Hoosier; Thanks for the post. I do have the lock and cap for the original tank. Only one key and that starts my bike?? You can send me an email and I'll take a picture. billsull61@gmail.com

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
Jaime, I got the mirrors from Carpy in Orange county. Nostalgia Speed and Cycle. http://www.cb750cafe.com/

Nice guy and sells everything for CB750s

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Billman3000
As requested here are some pics of the bike today.

I have some minor wiring to do and get the gas flowing (still need to weld a tube and mount a petcock). I should have it running in two weeks

After it's back on the road I’ll be looking into modifying the front fender, moving some of the hooha out of the battery area and looking for a better battery box. I'll also be looking for some rear sets and what is everyone’s opinion on the chain cover?? I have a neighbor that keeps telling me to get rid of it.

Here is the dash with the oil and neutral light. Also you can see the choke. After it's back on the road I'll also be looking at shortening all the cables due to the clubmans. And some new braided brake lines

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

I've been running without a chain cover for close to( maybe over) 10,000 miles. No issues. I spray my chain when I get back from a ride while it's still warm and its dries over night. I get a little fling off on the wheel,but not bad at all. It has never gotten on my clothes.

Bike looks good man.I really dig the seat and tank you went with.Looks real nice!

JMO , but i think a white inset painted in the knee dent would killer.

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Hoosier Daddy
LOOKS GREAT! That tank is so much better than I imagined before. Shineyribs may be onto something, either white, black or silver in the knee dents, little contrast like the "coves" on old 'Vettes.

(E-mail inbound on the old tank bits)
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!

Re: 80 CB750 Supersport

Ah yes,coves. Thats the word i was looking for
123456