GME plunger- It lives!...sorta

123456 ... 12

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Tore the forks down for a good clean and inspect. The internals are way different than my 76F's. It needs fork seals and dust covers,but the rest look good. Oh,and the mount for the caliper is different than my 76 also. Can anyone ID these sliders for me? I need to order some parts. Pops is really wanting to get this bike going. Of course,he hasn't touched a wrench,but he said to make a list of what I need and he'll cover it. Cool offer,but I just cant do that to my old man...tempting though!

Totally different setup than my other bike.

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

pat english
it would be somewhere on that plunger tower..but will probly be a bitch to expose even if there were numbers..those guys like to bondo over everything back then..ive never had a jammer or gme frame so i wouldnt know if they put numbers on theyre stuff..

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

pat english

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Your the man Mr Engish ! ...but ya aint getting my clamp lol

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

pat english
dam.i shoulda told you it was just

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

I knew your frame was not an Amen. But am not sure what is really is. The plungers, and axle plates look just like a TMS (The Machine Shop) frame. However it not having a goose neck is throwing me. That top clamp looks like an early CB 750 with a do-hicky welded to it. I would replace it it. I'll bet there is one nearby you, maybe on an old trike.
Also those forks are early CB 750, 72, or earlier. Some one restoring a sandcast would go nuts, for them.

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

I wasnt sure about the amen thing either. Too much hype about those frames. Pat told me it probably wasnt an amen before i even bough it so its not a bummer or anything. The clamp and the fork legs are ceramic coated,so I dont know if the sandcast crowd would like them or not.Dont know how hard that stuff is to get off. I saw a number on one fork seal cg 72 i think.Cant remember right now. So you think 72 fork seals would work then?

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

And i soooo wish it had a goose neck. They look awesome~

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

pat english
i know amen sold just the rear plunger section maybe others did that too..kinda like how guys are selling weld on hard tail sections...maybe youre frame is stock with one of those sections welded on..

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Nah,definitely not a stock frame. Way too clean I am curious about it though. Gonna see what I can find. The whole way the plunger is made on mine is different from an Amen. Pretty junky design really. With the axle haning off the back like that it looks like it would just try to cock and bind up.No way it could ever bounce. Maybe if you Dukes of Hazards'ed it over a washed out bridge,then it MIGHT actually bounce.

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Pat,I looked thru that link you sent. Pretty sure it's a GME. That tab threw me at first. I guess it was there for a fender strut and got lost when someone went crazy with the molding on this bike. The way the GME frame is made at the right rear engine mount and how the stub for the rear brake pedal is spot on to mine. I'm not positive,but I'm pretty sure. Thanks man.

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

The oil tank in this pic exactly like mine. I think you nailed Pat...and Tools. The ad says they were distributors for Machine Shop products. Maybe they were the same frame at one point?

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

pat english
right on..yeah plunger frames were nothing new...dont know why guys started making them in the 70's..they look cool,but the springs are really just for looks..

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Lucky 1
WARNING:

Those washers MUST  be there (triple clamp) because if you take them out and tighten it ,it will crack. Many reports about this on SOHC website. Certain years had the washers. Better check that out.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Thanks Lucky. Pat and I were talking about that last night. I was wondering if the extra length and angle of the front end was causing to crack.Hopefully someone just left the washers out at one time. Thanks for looking out for me! Any clue what the proper washer thickness should be?

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Hellbilly429
No need to apologize, just had to bust your balls, besides if you were an uptight christian I am pretty sure we wouldn't get along and you would probably have given me a lecture a long time ago about my user name

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Hellbilly429
Haha, yeah, something like that, or be gone satan! Then I would've just turned my head 360 degrees and puked green slime all over you

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

TOOLS1 wrote
I knew your frame was not an Amen. But am not sure what is really is. The plungers, and axle plates look just like a TMS (The Machine Shop) frame. However it not having a goose neck is throwing me. That top clamp looks like an early CB 750 with a do-hicky welded to it. I would replace it it. I'll bet there is one nearby you, maybe on an old trike.
Also those forks are early CB 750, 72, or earlier. Some one restoring a sandcast would go nuts, for them.
TOOLS
So you think it's safe to go ahead and order for seals for a 72K?

Re: Just got home with my new toy....Can I get an AMEN!?

Yes. However I am pretty sure that use the same 35mm seal that all the later CB 750's use. I like the ones Cycle-X sells myself.

123456 ... 12