Trip Planning: Summer 2013

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
I'ma gonna take the long way . . . I said I wasn't in a rush and I'm not going to be in one. just hoping for nice weather. google maps says a 6,666 km trip one way . . . of course, that's without stopping to smell the roses, visiting friends, and doing a bit of exploring.

I'm looking at my budget [ya, right . . . what's that?] and starting to think of asking for donations
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
tick tick tick . . . I know, a month to go . . . but it's coming together. boots. check. rain gear. check. GPS. check. oh, ya . . . bike. double check. hoping that nothing happens in the next few weeks to end the dream.

and thanks to all who offered instruction [though I'm still open to more ideas]. one way trip basically finalized [Sarge, is 4 days enough from Indy to Winnipeg or do I need 5?].

oh, and does anyone else want to meet me on the road for a coffee?

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

seestheday
Still need to hear when you're coming through the Kitchener area :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry device

tick tick tick . . . I know, a month to go . . . but it's coming together. boots. check. rain gear. check. GPS. check. oh, ya . . . bike. double check. hoping that nothing happens in the next few weeks to end the dream.

and thanks to all who offered instruction [though I'm still open to more ideas]. one way trip basically finalized [Sarge, is 4 days enough from Indy to Winnipeg or do I need 5?].

oh, and does anyone else want to meet me on the road for a coffee?

Chickens: the only animals you eat before they are born and after they are dead.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Trip-Planning-Summer-2013-tp4039727p4040861.html
To unsubscribe from Trip Planning: Summer 2013, click here.
NAML

1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
check your e-mail

OK I'll save you the trouble. looks like . . .

June 19 ==> KW
June 20 ==> Ann Arbor
June 21 ==> Indy
June 27 ==> Winnipeg [arrive June 30]

once I leave Indy things can be fluid
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

seestheday
Weird, I'll have to check my spam filter.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Trip-Planning-Summer-2013-tp4039727p4040866.html
To unsubscribe from Trip Planning: Summer 2013, click here.
NAML

1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

Four to five days should be enough, but it depends on how many stops, and for how long.  If you take in museums along the way, it will depend on how much time you spend in each (the underground mine tour consumed around four hours; the mining science museum took up around 5-6 hours, but we really enjoyed it, only made it 40 miles travelled that day; the Greyhound Bus Museum took up 3 hours, but we took it leisurely, walking through nearly all of the buses on display -- many are long out of service, but they represent the hey-day, and were quite nicely equipped, a real window into the past glory days when buses were more up-scale, and classy).

We had a time budget, dictated by our vacation already scheduled.  We did not have a set itinerary, except we had to be home by a fixed, immovable date on the calendar.  We took in the sites we wanted, watching the calendar.  When our time reached the point where we knew we had to get busy covering the mileage home, we set aside museum stops, and made the mileage as needed.

You will be on vacation.  You know your time budget, and your mileage budget (how many miles to your destination of Winnipeg).  If you have the time, you can take in more sites; if you are pressed for time, you will have to push on towards your final destination.  That is about as accurate as I can tell you, for how many days you will need to take in the sights...    Cheers!

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool
Lucky! I am jealous. You should keep us updated on your route. I might know a decent program that you can show where you are, how fast you are going, and is free...
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
cdaiscool wrote
You should keep us updated on your route.
I will as much as possible. will be starting a blog on the trip today if I have time.

 I might know a decent program that you can show where you are, how fast you are going, and is free...
the problem is that once I hit the border I get hit with massive roaming charges. $8/50MB for data, if you can believe it.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool

Get a prepay SIM card for the other country. If you wanted to go the where am I route. Can most likely get one for a few bucks via Craigslist.

cdaiscool wrote

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Trip-Planning-Summer-2013-tp4039727p4040949.html
To unsubscribe from Trip Planning: Summer 2013, click here.
NAML
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
OK: full disclosure here.

I am a minister, and my church has given me a three month sabbatical for rest, renewal, and spiritual refreshment. I will be revisiting my personal spiritual and church roots as I travel this summer. I tell you this because my blog [such as it is] is up  -- and while I'll be posting pictures and talking about the ride, there'll also be talk of churches, church people, and . . . well, God.

So you are warned . . . though I'll also check in here with pics -- especially the Indy-Winnipeg and Calgary-BC through the mountains runs.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool
Thanks for the head's up. I'll be sure to keep my thoughts checked at the door and go solely for the pictures and biking stories.

Have fun out there when you go!
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
on the road two weeks today.

think I have everything I need -- but am sure I don't! got CAA today; trunk bag, side bags, tank bag, tool kit, windscreen [such as it is] rain gear, boots, extra gloves, good riding gear, bike had another look-over just to tighten everything up.

went on a good ride today just to check things out -- and they did.

CC empty [well, sort of], passport ready, just gotta hit my wife up for some cash of the US variety [she is the official "holder of the lot".

getting pumped!
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

sgtslag
Make sure to do a fully loaded test ride, or two, to shake things out.  Mentally review your packing stuff:  make certain you will actually need everything you plan to take, as weight, and bulk, are limited on a bike.  Remember that you could wash your clothes at least once per week, and being on the bike, getting plenty of air, you can wear the same outer clothing for three days, without issue.  Cologne is a waste of packing -- all of that air will blow it off of you, with none the wiser that you ever had it on.  Sorry to be 'personal', but this stuff really does matter.   Cheers!

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
be personal -- right about now I'll let my pride take a beating if the beating includes helpful info.

getting lists together, first test ride next week after the 5 days of rain  -- at least I got a good ride in yesterday. second test ride to [obviously] follow.

the good thing is that I don't pack like my wife does. when we go for a week's vacation I fit everything into a carry-on, she uses a suitcase, a carry on, and tries to weasel room in my bag.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

Speaking of rain...  Recently picked up a set of Frog Toggs...  Best rain suit I've ever used!  They actually breathe!  It kept me, and the other three people I was with, dry, without the sweat-induced dampness, clamminess, inside of the suit, like most vinyl rain suits will -- they do not breathe...  I'm sold on the Frog Toggs (available at Gander Mountain, among other sports supply stores).  They're around $40 US, for a coat and pants, but they compress down to a small size, for easy stowage.  The built-in hood, on the jacket, could be worn under a helmet, which will keep the rain off of your neck, as you ride -- my wife loves that (and so do I, actually).  They come in blue, and bright yellow -- a good choice for riding in the rain, for better visibility on the bike (construction worker, reflective vests are even better).

Just an FYI, in case you don't have a decent rain suit yet.  Even if you do, file it in the back of your mind -- they're worth the price, in my not-so-humble opinion.    Cheers!

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool
I must agree with this 110%. I only had pants, but my jeans were never soaked!

And goodness knows I rode through some seriously hard rains.

Speaking of rain...  Recently picked up a set of Frog Toggs...  Best rain suit I've ever used!  They actually breathe!  It kept me, and the other three people I was with, dry, without the sweat-induced dampness, clamminess, inside of the suit, like most vinyl rain suits produce -- they do not breathe...  I'm sold on them.  They're around $40 US, for a coat and pants, but they compress down to a small size, for easy stowage.  The built-in hood, on the jacket, could be worn under a helmet, which will keep the rain off of your neck, as you ride -- my wife loves that (and so do I, actually).

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Trip-Planning-Summer-2013-tp4039727p4041900.html
To unsubscribe from Trip Planning: Summer 2013, click here.
NAML

Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
sgtslag wrote
Speaking of rain...  Recently picked up a set of Frog Toggs...  Best rain suit I've ever used!
was torn . . . could only find blue and black for Frog Toggs Canada [figure that]. maybe I didn't look hard enough. cross-border costs $$$. got a reflective yellow suit, with hood [was unsure about the hood].

but I'm not going to need to pull it out of the package anyway . . . am I?
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

sgtslag
My wife got a yellow suit, I ended up with blue, as they had a limited selection here, too.  We wear the construction-worker vests, over our armored, waterproof riding jackets anyway (no hoods.,.).  Bought them two weeks ago, took them on a van trip to South Dakota, with my in-law's, for a vacation.  Wore them several times, in the rain.  Only regret was not putting the pants on, for our walk-about's:  pants got wet, while the rest of us stayed dry, and comfy (had waterproof boots on).

They do a nice job of cutting the wind, which is fantastic.  They breathe, surprisingly well.  We will be wearing them beneath/over the top of our riding jackets (whichever works best?) to take advantage of the hoods.  Great product.  Cheers!