Trip Planning: Summer 2013

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

easyrider12
Hey free2,  just jumped aboard to follow your trip , hope all goes well.   I never checked back to see how your hockey playoff predictions turned out,  chicago with 2 goals in 17seconds to win it eh?? lol.  I'm a little bit lost with only the Jays to follow now but I might get to see yankees/jays in aug.  fingers crossed.       cheers
most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handelbars to the saddle.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

Glad to see an update.  Was wondering about you since you hadn't posted in a while.

Poopy's is regarded as a "must see", by many folks, but we were less than impressed, as well.  Glad we saw it, won't be stopping in again, as once was enough for us.  It appeals mostly to the H-D crowd -- not a bad thing, just their target audience.

The Mississippi is higher than normal, as are all of the regional rivers, due to excessive rains of late.  Southeastern Minnesota has been under flash flood warnings, off and on, over the past two weeks.  The flood warnings have all expired, for now, but more rain is in the forecast for this region.

I need to offer a correction on the route information I offered previously.  I thought it was MN-61, but it is, in fact, US-61.  We rode it north of Winona last weekend.  It is pretty for the first few miles, as it passes through bluff country:  high hills/low mountains, with deep valleys and the divided highway running through it; there are small towns with houses built up along one, or both, sides of the highway, then it opens into farmland -- pretty farmland, but it is not the same character as what you may be accustomed to in Canada.  If you get your fill of the River, then try US-61 for a change of pace.  It is all beautiful, really.

We toured, two up, 1,935 miles on our '79, when it was 30 years young.  The DOHC's are fine engines, if taken care of.  People believe that these older bikes are junk.  They have no idea, really, how dependable they are, even today, decades later.  We would have ridden our '79 anywhere, without fear.  Best of luck!  Cheers!

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
easyrider12 wrote
Hey free2,  just jumped aboard to follow your trip , hope all goes well.   I never checked back to see how your hockey playoff predictions turned out,  chicago with 2 goals in 17seconds to win it eh?? lol.  I'm a little bit lost with only the Jays to follow now but I might get to see yankees/jays in aug.  fingers crossed.       cheers
wound up winning, but only because the guy I was tied with chose the Bruins -- though he hoped Chicago would win.

I hear the Jays are up to their old tricks -- win a bunch, lose a bunch.

couldn't believe it last night -- put ESPN on and they were carrying the TSN feed to a CFL game  [mind you, it was ESPN2].

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
Hey Sarge I'm in Winona tonight. and am wiped. threw away the map this morning [intentionally] and decided to just go where the wind took me along the river. my planned 4 1/2 hour day took almost 10 hours [with stops, of course]. I kept meeting up with people who said "you need to ride . . . " I was planning on riding some of the roads anyway, but going off the beaten path even more was fun [I could cut and paste but if anyone is interested I've blogged it].

Today at the dealership the sales person was trying to tell me how much better the new bikes are than the old. More comfortable? Probably. But I'm interested in seeing if they are still running in 35 years!

I may do the 61, but I'm 2 days away from constant farmland back in Canada [until I hit the Rockies anyway].

Nice to be in the saddle today, but it isn't even 10:00 and I'm done for.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

sgtslag
Sounds like you are having a great time!  Enjoy.  Drinking in the beauty, taking it as it comes, is what it is all about for us, when we ride.  We're thinking of heading up to Duluth, tomorrow, early.  Not sure where we will end up at, but we know we have to be home Sunday night, so we don't have too much time, or distance.

Finished removing the slack in the cruise control actuator, tonight.  Should have done that two years ago...  Looking forward to testing it, tomorrow.  Newer bikes are nicer, but each has its own uniqueness, and character.  Riding a 30-something bike is part of the charm, excitement, and fun.  Not many folks would tour, today, on a 750 -- too small, they think.  Folks toured on bikes smaller than 400cc's, back in the early 70's!  We get comments on our 1200, mostly due to its age (1993), and they haven't seen one like it before.  We enjoy it, most of the time.  The old 750 drew more attention, though, and we thoroughly enjoyed that.  People just didn't seem to understand -- but we did...  Cheers!

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
I'm in Duluth Sunday . . . lunch there the back into Canada.

That river run was fantastic. Glad I took it. Was sad to leave it and be stuck on the interstate. I imagine that there was another way but it was time to travel. Thanks again for suggesting that I smell the roses along the way. That's something I don't do often enough and have to learn to do more often.

Wonder what the border guards are going to say to me when i tell them I've been doing next to nothing for the past 10 days I was in the States.

Minor problem today.  lost a bolt from my windshield. So on the list for tools to pack . . . some twist ties. Since I had none, a quick fix:

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
back in Canada. again, the Great River Road was fantastic -- strong recommend. again, thanks Sarge.

47plus MPG, bike purring beautifully!

A coupla days of rest for the two of us and then on to the next leg.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

sgtslag
Glad you enjoyed the Mighty Mississippi.  It is beautiful.

One of the 'tools' I always pack on every trip, is Zip Ties.  Another great 'tool' to pack, is RTV Silicone:  seals, glues (moderate strength only), waterproof's, good all-around thing to have along.  Forgot it once, stopped at a Napa store, Lord knows where, and bought a tube to glue on a turn signal lens that had lost a screw.  It's still holding it in place, more than a year later.  Cheers!

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
and I coulda used that silicone instead of electrical tape!

was told "a Harley guy" lives next door to mt sister [with whom I'm staying]; he might have the bolt I'm looking for. if not should be an easy find.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
hey cda, get this: got to the border and this is how it went:

Where do you live?
Where are you going?
What did you do in the States?
What do you do for a living?
Bringing any alcohol or tobacco with you? Guns?
How much did you spend?
How was the ride?
Have a good day.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool

Canadians are nice to Canadians apparently. Lol

Glad you're having fun! I'm jealous I can't join you.

On Jun 30, 2013 8:32 PM, "free2ride [via Honda CB750'S]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey cda, get this: got to the border and this is how it went:

Where do you live?
Where are you going?
What did you do in the States?
What do you do for a living?
Bringing any alcohol or tobacco with you? Guns?
How much did you spend?
How was the ride?
Have a good day.
Chickens: the only animals you eat before they are born and after they are dead.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Trip-Planning-Summer-2013-tp4039727p4043057.html
To unsubscribe from Trip Planning: Summer 2013, click here.
NAML
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

seestheday
I've crossed the border many many times. I've been questioned a lot some times, and other times almost not at all. I've not even been asked for my passport twice.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
still in town. may take niece for a ride today.

yesterday was a relaxed day -- Canada Day holiday. walking around the neighbourhood with sister, introduced around. and as soon as I tell guys about what I'm doing I hear their bike stories, of curse [that's a good thing].

one 70-someting year old guy told me about riding through the Rockies on a Suzuki 450 [when he was a younger, fairly new rider], semis all around, almost filling his pants [fairly new as in about a month]. went because a friend was going so he got his license so he could go along. finally said "enough" and pulled off the first side road they could find. about 12 feet in his front tire blew. long story, patched it, kept filling it with air every chance until the could get to a place to buy a new tire. great story.

then met my sister's neighbour, who eventually brought out a picture of his bike: a '68 Royal Enfield 750 Interceptor [like this one, but not as clean and sparkling -- pulled this pic from google, but did see an actual pic of his bike]. of course, he regrets selling it! He was going to buy a car but when he found out how powerful they were bought the bike instead. new. out of the crate. $1,800.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

seestheday
My wife made this post about your visit and how I'm pretty much a terrible host.  I thought it was funny .

http://buffyandgeorge.com/rhubarb-custard-tart-with-buckwheat-and-nut-crust-gluten-free/

You missed out huge on that pie.  It was damn delicious.

My cb750 video site

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool
Okay, that's kind of funny.

I have to ask, though - how comfortable is your couch? I'm assuming you had a night or 2 of experiencing it...

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM, seestheday [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:
My wife made this post about your visit and how I'm pretty much a terrible host.  I thought it was funny .

http://buffyandgeorge.com/rhubarb-custard-tart-with-buckwheat-and-nut-crust-gluten-free/

You missed out huge on that pie.  It was damn delicious.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: BuffyAndGeorge.com. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Trip-Planning-Summer-2013-tp4039727p4043134.html
To unsubscribe from Trip Planning: Summer 2013, click here.
NAML

Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
seestheday wrote
My wife made this post about your visit and how I'm pretty much a terrible host.  I thought it was funny .

http://buffyandgeorge.com/rhubarb-custard-tart-with-buckwheat-and-nut-crust-gluten-free/

You missed out huge on that pie.  It was damn delicious.
hilarious. I FB'ed the link.

Tell her I'll be back for the pie some night . . . and that I'll contact her directly [though it'll be another excuse to "discuss our infatuation with motorcycles"].
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

seestheday
Lol, sounds good.

btw, if anyone wants to leave a comment on her site please do.  Anything I can do to help promote it .

My cb750 video site

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
lots of sitting now, but here's a coupla bikes I ran into yesterday.

first . . . a guy from Quebec heading to the Yukon [goal: home and back in three weeks (3600 miles/5800 km)]

second . . . a bike with an Ultima engine

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

cdaiscool
That Ultima engine bike looks WICKED.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Trip-Planning-Summer-2013-tp4039727p4043286.html
To unsubscribe from Trip Planning: Summer 2013, click here.
NAML

Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.

Re: Trip Planning: Summer 2013

free2ride
Reuben's 1981/3 Honda 250.

he was pulling out onto the street as I switched lanes. pulled up beside me at a red light, started talking. I said I had to turn, he followed me, we talked for 15 minutes. something about a bike that does that!

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)
12345