new member

Re: new member

chris72
Thanks that really helps.

Re: new member

chris72
So I'm seeing a lot of pics but no write up on front fork swaps. Looks like a much more modern front end. Are there any that are a direct swap? If not what's involved? I've yet to swap a front end.

Re: new member

There's no 100% direct swaps, but the easiest is a CBR F2 or F3 front end. But those front end use a 17'' rim, so you will lose about 2-3 inches of ride height right off the bat. You could adapt the stock rim back in there, but that get's complicated.

Re: new member

chris72
Thanks. Anyone know of a tutorial to swap them? I'd like to get a sense of what is involved.

Re: new member

chris72
I've found a couple of write ups using gsxr front ends. It appears to be pretty straight forward. There's even a company that sells a modified stem. I'll need to see if it's cost effective vs having one machined. Anyone heard of doing this?

Thanks for the reply about the cbr forks. I'll also look into that as well though it seems like it may be a lot of work. Not that I'm afraid of that but if I can find an easier solution...

Re: new member

CBR, GSXR...anyone of them...are all the same amount of work as far as just getting them on to the frame. Swap the stock CB stem in to whatever lower yoke and on she goes.

Just by pure luck, CBR F2 and F3 yokes have similar offset ( centerline from fork tubes to stem) to the original CB, so your trail number doesn't go completely out the window. USD GSXR yokes have nearly no offset at all. It ends up sucking the fork rearward and creating a lot of additional trail. My '76 F had these forks on it. Super stable on the highway, but a dump truck anywhere else. The bike doesn't want to turn, it just wants to barrel straight ahead. Also, you have serious tire to header clearance issues if you reatin the stock size front wheel.

Any modern sport bike front end will give you a 17'' tire and the height drop that comes along with it. I've found that the F2 and F3 forks are about 2-3'' taller than GSXR USD's. Yamaha has a set of long USD's. FZR, I think, but I'm not sure.

A stem swap will put any forks on any bike. What you decide to do about the front wheel is where the swap gets interesting.

Re: new member

chris72
Thanks for the info. I did a lot of reading last night. I like the look but still undecided at this point. I did however get her running today after two years of sitting.

Re: new member

chris72
So I was really thinking of a more modern take on a cafe bike with a little street fighter flare but then a buddy showed me this. I love how this looks. http://silodrome.com/honda-cb550-cafe-racer/

Re: new member

Simple, cheap and classic. Go for it. You'll love it.

Re: new member

chris72
That's what I was thinking too. Would be way cheaper and easier to build. What I cannot figure out is... where the heck is the battery? Are they using a capacitor?

Re: new member

The client wanted a kick and an electric start, so they called upon the talented guys at Antigravity Batteries. Their compact battery powers the new built-from-scratch wiring loom – with this setup they were able to hit their our goal of a clean and simple design.
Gotta be under the tank. Some of the new lithium batteries are only as big as a couple packs of cigarettes.

Re: new member

chris72
Thanks aging I  really appreciate you know of holding my hand while I research ideas and parts. Will any cb750 rims fit? Would love to find a set of wire rims.

Re: new member

chris72
I meant to say 79'-83' found a set of cb750k rims I like.

Re: new member

chris72
This is driving me bonkers. I cannot find wire wheels anywhere. Wonder if I'm searching wrong or something.

Re: new member

79-83 came available with spokes. But not on F models. And the 900 C is shaft driven, so that away from the rear wheels on those.

The spacers that go on your axles are different between spoke wheels and comstars, so try and get the spacers when you're shopping for wire wheels.

Re: new member

I went to Google and typed " dohc cb750 spoked rims" and got this:http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27767

Re: new member

shinyribs wrote
I went to Google and typed " dohc cb750 spoked rims" and got this:http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27767
That was not very informative.
All 69-82 rear wheels will interchange. The 69-76 do have a narrower sprocket offset, and spacers. However you would just use the cush drive, and spacers off your wheel. On the front, you bolt on a 79-82 "K" model wheel. The problem is you can only use one disc. You will need to use the disc off the "C" wheel because they are smaller diameter then the "K" disc. You could use the larger "K" disc, but you would need to install the 79-82 "K" fork leg. Now if you want to use the 69-78 front wheel, all you need to do is swap the forks. And these can be converted to duel disc very easily.

Re: new member

Taken from that link:

On my cb750 I ran spoked rims, rear wheel off a cb550, in 16inch and front was a 21inch off an xl500r running the cb750 axle.

Here's a link to a list if axle diameters from all manufacturers of bikes.

http://scandalon.com/2009/06/motorcy...iameter-chart/

I found it pretty useful. Should give you an idea on what wheels you can use with the cb750 axles. You may require spacers if the hubs are a little narrow between the forks/frame, but they are pretty easy to knock up.
I found that useful. It's not a list of ''tell me what to buy off ebay and bolt on'', but it's good to know when ebay turns up empty. And as I'm not versed in DOHC spoked rims my ability to help was limited to research. Just plucking up neggets as I stumble across them.

Re: new member

Wasn't knocking you, I just did not think they had the answer to the question. However research tools are helpful.

Re: new member

chris72
Thanks Tools, very informative. So I found a guy who makes spoke rings that will retrofit the comstar hubs. I also contacted Buchanan  wheels and they can assemble them. I've watched a few videos and read some write ups how to relace wire rims. It doesn't appear to be too hard but I'm not sure if I should just go with Buchanan or not. I was hoping to just buy a set as building them seems pretty expensive.
123456